Job Title: Senior Data Scientist
Job Location: UK Flexible role
Salary £43,825, to £49,250 based on 35 hours per week:
Contract Type: Permanent
The Senior Data Scientist has a central role in leveraging data-driven insights and developing tools to help the BRC address complex humanitarian challenges. As a leader in the data science field, their primary purpose is to harness the power of data to drive evidence-based decision-making and enhance our overall impact. A day in the life of a Senior Data Scientist will involve:
To be a successful Senior Data Scientist, you'll need:
- Lead the design, development, and dissemination of flagship insight products, including R Shiny web apps and R packages.
- Conduct and analyse requirements-gathering, including user research, to ensure products meet colleagues' insight needs.
- Conduct modelling, analytics and visualisation of complex datasets.
- Communicate findings in engaging ways that inspire action, such as slide decks, reports, and interactive apps.
- Manage British Red Cross's data science community of practice.
- Set and oversee standards and best practices for data science at British Red Cross.
- Line manage junior data scientist, supporting their knowledge and skill development and acting as product owner of the tools/analysis they are building/conducting
- All team members understand their responsibilities and objectives.
The closing date for completed applications is 23:59hrs on Thursday the 28th of September 2023 with interviews to follow
- Advanced skills in R
- Advanced knowledge of the 'tidyverse' and 'shiny' R packages
- Advanced statistical analysis, including time series modelling / forecasting
- GIS analysis skills
- Basic competence of git and GitHub
- Basic Python skills
- UX/user interface design
- Knowledge of a database programming language (desirable) (SQL preferred)
- Experience of full data pipeline - from cleaning and wrangling to visualisation and modelling
- Line management of other data scientists/analysts
Please note that early application is encouraged, as we'll be reviewing applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert in advance of the advertised closing date.
In return for your dedication and expertise, you'll get:
* Holidays: 36 days annual leave (including bank holidays) + option to buy 5 extra days.
* Pension scheme: Up to 6% contributory pension.
* Flexible working: We do our best to accommodate your preferred work style.
* Learning & Development: Wide range of career opportunities + comprehensive learning.
* Discounts: Access to Blue Light Discount Card and employee benefits platform.
* Wellbeing Assistance: Access to mental health and wellbeing assistance.
* Team Working: Champion our mission in a collaborative team.
* Cycle2Work: Lease a bicycle through the scheme.
* Season ticket loan: Interest-free loan for commuting expenses.
We are proud to participate in the disability confident scheme for roles based in the UK. During the application process, you will be asked if you wish to apply under the scheme.
At The British Red Cross, we pride ourselves on our diverse workforce, and ensuring we have an inclusive environment for all our staff and volunteers. We remain dedicated to ensuring our teams can bring their true selves to work without risk or fear of discrimination. We do this through regular data reporting, and the assistance of our internal Race and Equality Network (REEN), LGBT+ Network, our Disability and Wellness Network (DAWN), Gender Network, Carers Network and Youth Network.