Our Information Technology team are seeking a Data Engineer (Business Intelligence) to join their team in Sydney Macquarie Park.
As one of our data engineers you will:
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture, Including API design and management
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / nonfunctional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Develop CI/CD processes to meet demanding delivery goals
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and Azure 'big data' technologies.
- Design and implement workflow orchestration to enforce automation of workflow or multiple tasks.
- Design and build data models to enable analysts and data consumers to easily and quickly access needed data.
- Build analytics technologies that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Keep our data separated and secure across global boundaries through multiple data centres and Azure regions.
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
- Design and development of datalake and datalake house technologies for cloud data ingestion, classification and storage.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- Work with metadata and metadata management tools, including reference data and master data management
- Proactively build the latest Azure enterprise data warehouse through to PowerBI reporting
Skills and experience:
To be successful in this role you will;
- 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role,
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing 'big data' data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable 'big data' data stores.
- Strong project management and organisational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Detailed experience in data modelling in cloud environments. Kimball, fact and dimension modelling. In the transform part of cloud after the data lake.
- Detailed experience in engineering and maintaining an on premise data warehouse using SSIS,,SSRS, SSAS and SQL coding with SQL server
- Rostered on-call support for any issues with the Global data warehouse, global ETL and data management (additional pay is provided for on-call activities).
- Certifications from Microsoft Azure would be highly considered
- Experience using the following software/tools:
- big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc
- relational SQL and NoSQL databases
- with data pipeline and workflow management tools:
- Azure cloud services: and the Microsoft synapse technologies
- stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
- Microsoft stack as we are a Microsoft shop
- Databricks & data factory tools in cloud
- PowerBI or similar data visualisation tool
Innovative, efficient and effective IT systems are essential to the successful operation of a global law firm like Herbert Smith Freehills. The information technology team keeps our global team of lawyers and Business Services staff connected, whether we're in the office or on the move.
Information technology is responsible for everything information systems-related. That includes:
- technical support: IT helpdesks, asset management (including laptops and mobile devices) and technical training
- infrastructure: networks and systems, servers (real and virtualised), disaster recovery, business continuity and IT security
- innovation and technology: driving the increasingly important adoption of technology in new ways
- development: designing and acquiring business applications.
While the roles within the division may vary, all involve providing the very best services and systems. You may also have the opportunity to work on challenging projects across the firm.