- Master’s degree (or Bachelors degree or 5+ years of experience) in a quantitative discipline such as Statistics, Mathematics, Data Science, Business Analytics, Economics, Finance, Engineering, or Computer Science
- 2+ years of experience working as a data scientist or a similar role involving data extraction, analysis, statistical modeling, and communication
- 2+ years of experience using data querying languages (e.g. SQL, Hadoop/Hive)
- 3+ years professional experience in modeling and statistical analysis of large data sets.
- Experience in working with databases and SQL in a business environment.
- Proficient with using scripting language such as Python and data manipulation/analysis libraries such as Scikit-learn and Pandas for analyzing and modeling data.
- Ability to go from a jupyter-notebook analysis to a micro-service deliverable that can scale.
- Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives.
- Ability to manage and quantify improvement in customer experience or value for the business resulting from research outcomes.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical and technical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers’ experiences in ways we can’t even image yet. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling, and fun.
The Technical Operations Manufacturing team at Amazon Robotics is looking for an experienced, results-oriented Data Scientist to solve difficult problems in manufacturing and supply chain. The data ranges from mechanical dimensional data to results of complex electro-mechanical tests, to supply chain and logistics optimization with a little bit of everything in between. Our team is looking for a data scientist to derive insights from this data and communicate the results though white papers, presentations, and production ready models. This role will interface with engineers in software, hardware test, manufacturing, and design. Our methods include design of experiments, statistical modeling, machine learning, financial analysis, and data visualization in a combined team of software engineering and data science.
A successful candidate should have a background in stakeholder management and end-to-end data science including model deployment infrastructure. We are looking for a jack-of-all-trades that is able to select and use the right tools to bring clarity to complex questions and help drive decisions. While we don’t assume mastery in all areas, successful team members can deliver work competently in multiple domains.The key strategic objectives for this role include:
- Understanding drivers, impacts, and key influences on manufacturing and supply chain failures.
- Optimizing identification of defective product to improve our customer satisfaction.
- Drive actions at scale to improve manufacturing yields using scientifically-based methods and decision-making.
- Optimizing supply chain and logistics processes to support manufacturing processes.
- Helping to build production systems that take inputs from multiple models and make decisions in real-time.
- Automating feedback loops for algorithms in production.
- Utilizing Amazon systems and tools to effectively work with terabytes of data.
Key job responsibilities
- Working with stakeholders to dive deep into the problem spaces and building subject matter expertise in manufacturing and supply chain science
- Writing quality code that will be reviewed by SDEs and deploying models to production systems
- Design science and systems with an automation and repeatability and automation mindset
A day in the life
You will work with stakeholders to dive deep into the manufacturing and supply chain operations problem space. You will define ambiguous problems and turn them into technical solutions that deliver results continuously (not a one-off-analysis). You'll be part of a talented team with end-to-end skill-sets in software development, data engineering and data science. You will be in the driver's seat of your research projects with the ability to bring new ideas into productions.
About the team
We are a cross-functional team of software developers, data engineers and data scientists who work together to deliver high-impact solutions. We operate in a collaborative environment where your perspective matters - we encourage new ideas and hold regular design review meetings to think beyond the here and now.
- Master's degree in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics, or a related quantitative field with at least 6 years of working experience as a Data Scientist.
- Experienced in writing academic-styled papers for presenting both the methodologies used and results for data science projects.
- Knowledge of data visualization software (QuickSight, Tableau).
- Experience using cloud storage and computing technologies such as Spark, Hive, Hadoop, and AWS.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.