Credence Management Solutions strives to employ hard-working, passionate, detail-oriented individuals who bring value to the exciting nature of our work and take pride in supporting our country’s various government missions in the best way possible. To do so, our corporate culture is focused on employee empowerment, recognition, reward, and retention.
We are hiring for positions under the Global Health Training, Advisory, Support Contract (GHTASC) in support of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Bureau for Global Health (GH). These roles deliver institutional support services in a wide range of technical areas at the junior, mid, senior, and expert levels.
We are a diverse, enthusiastic family of subject matter experts, business professionals, and practitioners who all share a common goal of providing excellent services to our government customers. If you want to work in a dynamic and fast-growing environment with highly motivated colleagues, then Credence is the right place for you!
Credence Management Solutions is seeking a Data Scientist in support of USAID Global Health Bureau, Office of HIV/AIDS, the Systems and Program Sustainability(SPS) Division.
See below for more information on this exciting opportunity and apply to join Credence today!
USAID is at the forefront of the U.S. Government (USG) response in the fight against HIV. USAID is a key partner in the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), and works closely with other USG agencies on this multi-billion dollar initiative in developing countries around the world. The Bureau for Global Health Office of HIV/AIDS (OHA) is the center of HIV technical leadership for the Agency with primary responsibility for the Agency’s HIV program. OHA provides strategic guidance, technical leadership, and support to field programs in HIV, including direction on allocation of financial and human resources and technical assistance in design, implementation and monitoring of HIV programs.
The Systems and Program Sustainability Division (GH/OHA/SPS) provides technical leadership and strategic direction on issues related to systems strengthening and financing of HIV/AIDS programs. Under the SPS Division, the Health Workforce Branch (GH/OHA/SPS/HWF) coordinates with relevant USAID offices and Mission teams in support of Human Resources for Health (HRH) interventions to achieve and sustain epidemic control. This position closely works with the Health Workforce Branch Chief in the Systems and Program Sustainability Division.
The Data Scientist provides technical leadership and expertise in conducting advanced analytics and visualizations to better inform HIV/health programming through complex relationships with and between PEPFAR health workforce data, PEPFAR Measurement, Evaluation, and Research (MER) data, country-specific or survey data, and in the context of COVID-19, advancing health system resiliency and strong primary health care. S/he is responsible for working with subject matter experts to address priority development challenges and enhance the Agency’s capacity to integrate health workforce data with other program data and technical analysis, into routine decision making and inform new approaches for service delivery for sustained epidemic control. The Data Scientist work closely with technical program experts at USAID Headquarters and Missions in the development and execution of data analyses, visualizations and application to programs.
The Data Scientist will develop/expand expertise in PEPFAR data systems and data sources, analytics, and visualizations in order to collaborate with technical and program stakeholders. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide reproducible data science techniques and technical expertise to promote data-informed decision-making to priority international development challenges.
- Acquire, assess, process, ingest, manage, and analyze structured and unstructured data from a wide range of sources for improved decision making, rapidly conceptualizing and responding to health and development data requests from Agency and OHA leadership, and presenting and disseminating complex analytics and results to a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Serve as a technical lead in the management of data and analytics requirements, policies, procedures, and tools to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of quality USAID and PEPFAR data.
- Prepare and deliver hands-on training materials, using standard OHA tools (Excel, Tableau, Python, SQL/CQL and R) to improve the technical skills of USAID staff in the application of PEPFAR-specific data management, analytics and visualization for enhanced decision-making and program application.
- Conduct rigorous data analysis using standard OHA tools (Excel, Tableau, Python, SQL/CQL and R) of PEPFAR health workforce data, PEPFAR Measurement, Evaluation, and Research (MER) data, PEPFAR Expenditure Reporting, and country-specific or survey data, that advances USAID and PEPFAR monitoring of staffing investments for health programs and links to outcomes and/or target achievements.
- Collaborate with data analysts/scientists and program experts across USAID and other US Government agencies to develop, streamline, and improve existing workforce data collection and link to other emerging health data, data systems and processes for addressing complex problems.
- Provide technical support to OHA technical clusters and/or country clusters on data analysis, visualization, interpretation and use of health workforce data and integration with other data sets.
- Provide virtual and/or in-country technical support to USAID Mission teams on use of health workforce data as part of strategic information, including but not limited to technical guidance on program monitoring and/or surveys/surveillance, data management, data quality checks and review, data visualization, and data triangulation across program and technical areas.
- Participate in routine PEPFAR global performance review processes, providing data management support, analytic products, and other visualizations as needed to help inform health workforce related strategic planning activities for PEPFAR country teams.
- Develop technical guidance, reports, presentations and communications that summarize strategic information on HRH and other data trends, evidenced-based/high impact practices, and analysis for various internal and external audiences
- Increase knowledge of tools, techniques and frameworks for PEPFAR data analytics, combining PEPFAR program data with other data sources to assess HIV service delivery performance.
- Deepen knowledge of current literature, research, policies and programmatic experiences related to the HIV response.
- Participate in professional meetings as appropriate to the position description.
- Masters degree and a minimum of 4 more years of relevant experience, or bachelor’s degree with 6 years, Associate’s degree and 8 years relevant experience OR High School graduate and 10 years of relevant experience in Statistics, Math, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Epidemiology or Public Health a related technical field
- Strong quantitative background and experience in i) data collection, management, cleaning, processing, and integration, ii) database management or extract, transform, load (ETL) processes, and iii) applied data analysis and visualization using statistical software or programming languages (R, Python, SQL/CQL, Stata, SAS); package development experience a plus.
- Practical experience working within a data science ecosystem - R + RStudio (Tidyverse & geospatial related packages) + Git preferred (or strong willingness to learn it).
- Practical experience with Git/Github (setting up repos, reviewing code, and tracking issues).
- Practice experience working with relational and NoSQL databases, AWS Simple Storage Services (S3), Google Cloud Storage, and Google Drive.
- Practical experience interpreting broad analytic requests, summarizing appropriate data and producing compelling data visualization products using programming languages ®, data visualization software (Tableau), or spreadsheet processing software (Excel, Google Sheets). Experience with Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape, or Canva is a plus.
- Advanced Tableau and geospatial related package experience is a plus.
- Strong empathy, comfort with ambiguity, and a willingness to define the nuances of team roles and grow professionally/learn continuously to meet these nuances.
- Knowledge and experience with the PEPFAR Initiative, HIV/AIDS Programs Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting, and general M&E data collection and management techniques are preferred.
- Be willing to travel internationally and domestically, up to 25%.
- US citizenship or US permanent residency with the ability to obtain and maintain Facility Access required
Competencies/ Performance Criterion
- Creativity: Employee takes initiative to propose new ideas/approaches, and demonstrates ability to find new and better ways to accomplish work.
- Customer Service: Handles customer questions and complaints, communicates with customers, handles service problems politely and efficiently, always available for customers, follows procedure to solve customer problems, understands company products and services, maintains pleasant and professional image.
- Interpersonal Relationship: Employee demonstrates ability to work in cooperation with others and communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors, subordinates, clients and other outside contacts.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of work responsibilities and holds high standards. Keeps commitments and takes appropriate actions to ensure obligations are met. Pursues efficiency and effectiveness and adheres to Organization policies and procedures.
- Continual Learning: Assesses and recognizes own strengths and weaknesses; pursues professional development that is aligned with organizational role, contribution, and goals. Proactively shares knowledge with others to foster learning across the Organization.