Nine. Australia’s Media Company.
Underpinned by our people, our strategic focus is on content, connections and growth.
Driven by our purpose - Australia belongs here - and guided by our values - walk the talk, turn over every stone, keep it human - we are the home of Australia’s most loved content and trusted brands across News, Sport, and Entertainment.
We lead the total television market in Australia through our key brands of Channel 9, Gem, Go, Rush and Life, and of course you can consume all our content, live or on-demand, on Australia’s leading free streaming platform, 9Now. We also own Stan, the market leading local subscription streaming service.
Our total publishing business covers The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, The Australian Financial Review, to the breadth of nine.com.au and The Pedestrian Group.
In our total audio business we are building talk radio for the next generation across 2GB, 3AW, 4BC and 6PR.
Nine is also an active participant in Australian consumer marketplaces through our majority shareholding in Domain and our ownership of Drive.
Our Data Engineering team spans the full breadth of Nine working with huge datasets across all of our many brands. We build data products for Nine that enhance customer experiences, inform strategy and drive action.
We are looking for a senior engineer to join our growing team, with a focus on integrating third party platforms into our video-on-demand product and our data warehouse. You will plan and design data solutions in our Google Cloud environment. You will be primarily responsible for delivery of a range of data collection pipelines and transforming that data into insight for our internal customers.
We work with the latest cloud technologies and are responsible for a petabyte scale data platform. Our tech stack includes GCP BigQuery
, Apache Airflow
and a number of managed services on Google Cloud and AWS.
- Develop processes to ETL data from various data sources to a centralised data warehouse in a hybrid tech stack environment of cloud-based technologies
- End to end automation of data exchange developed using best practice data governance and utilising various API frameworks and scripting languages
- Work with application teams to implement data collection frameworks
- Contribute to the technical design and vision for the data platform
- Explore new tools, building POCs, productionising and rolling out new tools and frameworks
- Mentor engineers to lift capability and productivity across the team while driving adoption of best practices
- Improve our observability, monitoring and alerting
- Manage and work with multiple stakeholders
- Understand and enforce best practice data security and privacy protection.
What we would like to see on your resume:
- Solid understanding of ETL data transformations and strong SQL experience
- Experience building data products and services at scale.
- Experience manipulating and analysing complex, high-volume, low-latency data from varying sources - Kafka and Dataflow especially.
- Experience working in the cloud, GCP preferred
- Experience in cloud deployment using a CI/CD solution such as Cloud Build, Concourse
- Experience in deploying cloud infrastructure as code (IaC) using Terraform or similar
- Experience with Airflow is a big advantage, as well as data processing frameworks like Beam or PySpark
In addition to the above the following would be highly desirable but not essential:
- Experience in digital media
- Customer data platform experience
- Working knowledge of web analytics and/or marketing tags
- Knowledge of visualisation tools, like Tableau
- Familiarity with Agile practices, bitbucket and JIRA
Life at Nine
Nine is a people business. Being part of the team means you’ll be in a culture that promotes creativity and innovation, diversity and inclusion, is open to feedback, rewards impact and ensures everyone is heard. Importantly, you'll receive the following:
- Career development and quality training
- Up to 16 weeks paid primary carer’s parental leave
- Discounts on lifestyle, entertainment, and leisure memberships, including health insurance, dental and gym
- Discounts on products and services with corporate partners
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
At Nine, we are committed to fostering a workforce that embraces all aspects of diversity and inclusion and where practices are equitable to ensure our people experience a sense of belonging. From day one, you'll be encouraged to bring your whole self to work and will be supported to perform at your best. Should you require any adjustments to the recruitment process in order to equitably participate, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, and of all ages, nationalities, backgrounds and cultures.
We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.