Founded in 1966, Heitman LLC is a global real estate investment management firm with over $44 billion in assets under management. Heitman’s real estate investment strategies include direct investments in the equity or debt capitalization of a property or in the securities of listed and publicly traded real estate companies. Heitman serves a global client base with clients from North American, European, Middle Eastern and Asia-Pacific institutions, pension plans, foundations and corporations and individual investors. Headquartered in Chicago, with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, Heitman’s more than 325 employees offer specialized expertise – from a specific discipline to local insight.
As a Vice President, Data Analyst at Heitman, you will provide analysis, design, testing, implementation and support of technologies to support the ongoing activities related to the firm’s data and platform. You will be expected to identify opportunities to improve efficiency of business processes through effective use of data and subsequently lead the process for gathering, assessing and analyzing new business requirements for ongoing improvements to the data platform, and work with the business to identify relevant stakeholders, define critical business needs, and proactively establish a change management plan for the rollout of new technology. You will work closely with other technical roles including data architects, SQL developers, business intelligence analysts, and consultants and report to the firm’s head of Data Management. You will be participating as a workstream lead on Heitman's cloud-based global multi-asset platform (GMAP) initiative to expand our vast data and analytics capabilities through the use of next generation technology.
You will be interacting with all necessary parties to deploy solutions and manage risks, ensuring that client needs are consistently met while continually striving to exceed expectations. Acting as a liaison between the 3rd party vendors and the business, you will collaborate closely with our business users, technology team and other internal stakeholders during the various phases of the solution development lifecycle.
The responsibilities of a Vice President, Data Analyst include, but are not limited to:
- As a senior member of Heitman’s Data team, make recommendations/decisions about and guide/execute the implementation of new or re-designed procedures to continuously improve the firm’s data-oriented processes, from collection, to enhancement, to output functions in order to drive the firm’s business intelligence.
- Contribute to the creation of the data strategy and execution roadmap for the firm.
- Participate as a subject matter expert on the firm’s business intelligence and data science initiatives.
- Obtain, interpret and assess the business user data/reporting needs; and partner with the Data Architecture team on the buildout and curation of a collection of dashboards, reports, and interactive tools comprising a business intelligence ecosystem.
- Coordinate internal and external resources within the parameters of the overall project plan.
- Review and signoff on all artifacts (e.g. business requirements) for the data projects and applications that you are responsible for supporting.
- Work with the business unit(s) to understand the objectives, time, cost, and scope of the project and develop the project plan; involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility.
- Provide business expertise and recommendations in assessing new data initiatives to support and enhance our existing portfolio of applications and integrations with backend systems. Drive the creation of functional requirements for new data projects.
- Ensure appropriate standards and procedures are adhered to during the development process to support quality deliverables for the business stakeholders.
- Develop a detailed project plan and schedule to monitor and track progress based upon deliverables; managing the full life-cycle of data projects; including the initiation, planning, execution and closure.
- Track project performance, specifically to analyze the successful completion of short and long-term goals.
- Manage and clear roadblocks to the original plan as necessary to ensure success.
- Keep the project on track and maintain an issue log.
- Rigorously manage scope to ensure commitments are achieved within agreed upon time, cost, and quality parameters. Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule and project costs using appropriate verification techniques.
- Prepare and present regular project status reports and issues to the business; proposing solutions when needed. Regularly review progress with management, customers, and key stakeholders.
- Formally close projects, including conducting a project evaluation and a post-project evaluation.
- Oversee regular reviews of applications to detect data integrity and performance throughput issues and identify areas of improvement.
- Participate as workstream lead on larger-sized workstream(s) within Heitman's cloud-based global multi-asset platform (GMAP) initiative.
- Responsible for acting as a mentor, and overseeing the work of one or more individuals of the Data team.
- Ability to build strong internal networks, engaging others throughout the company to cultivate deep subject matter expertise across designated support area(s) and remain current on all company and competitor business activities.
- At least 15 years of relevant experience in the investment management or financial services industry, with deep data domain expertise aligned with at least one business area at Heitman (i.e. private equity/private debt/public securities).
- Ability to provide leadership and collaborate with internal stakeholders and develop strategies and solutions of high business value.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field.
- Ability to translate technical terms into clear customer-oriented language, and converse with both end-users and technology team members at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrate a general understanding of current data products, services, technology, and capabilities in order to clearly follow the work of the project team and to routinely brief key stakeholders on different aspects of a project.
- Demonstrated experience of collaborative work with stakeholders: functional experts, 3rd party technology vendors, technology team and end users.
- Sufficient level of technical background (data architecture and tools) to provide highly-credible leadership to project teams and to be able to accurately and objectively evaluate complex project risks and issues.
- High attention to detail and strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Deep data background with one or more real estate applications (e.g. Yardi, Argus) would be highly desirable.
- Familiarity with SQL, business intelligence concepts and one/more business intelligence tools (e.g. Power BI, Tableau) would be a plus.
Interested professionals should apply via our website at www.heitman.com. Please make sure to select “careers” under the About tab to submit your cover letter and resume. If you are a Heitman employee, please make sure to apply using your Heitman email address.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Heitman is an equal employment opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, medical or mental disability or condition (including, without limitation, HIV and AIDS), developmental disability, handicap, denial of family and medical care leave, denial of pregnancy leave, domestic partner status, status as a victim of sexual or domestic violence (or familial relationship to such victim), veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, arrest records, citizenship status, criminal history that has been expunged, unfavorable discharge from the military, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.