Join us in our mission to make website development fun by making it simple
Now Hiring: Senior Data Engineer, Growth
Help make Gatsby the way to build on the web by identifying key bottlenecks and areas for growth across open source and commercial.
Named as a Rising Star on the 2019 Forbes 100 Cloud List, Gatsby has quickly grown to be one of the largest and most exciting open source projects on the web. We’re a modern website framework that builds performance into every website by leveraging the latest web technologies. Create blazing fast, compelling apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include transparency (we work in public most of the time); creating a safe, high-trust team; building incredible developer experiences; maintaining a healthy working environment; and helping deliver web experiences that feel amazing to use on every device and connection type.
Details of the role
- Type of Work: Full-time
- Location: Remote
- Engineering Level: L4+ (see our Engineering Levels Guide)
Why we’re hiring
Gatsby is a wildly popular framework that is changing the architecture of the web. With thousands of users, Gatsby is an increasingly complex engine of flywheels and funnels. We need someone who sees the world through numbers and can work with product and engineering teams, as well as our sales and marketing organizations, to help accelerate our open-source usage and commercial business.
You’ll help Gatsby make informed decisions as we scale by owning all aspects of analytics instrumentation, and managing our data warehouse.
Why this is interesting
Gatsby is the way to build websites of the future, and you’ll be a key player in realizing this vision! You’ll be a leader in ensuring that the team has the insights to spearhead and develop data-driven features. By instrumenting stellar tracking and analytics, you’ll uncover bottlenecks and insights that will enable our users to build better and faster.
- Design and implement a scalable and durable data model for Gatsby datasets.
- Develop the end-to-end instrumentation of data pipelines, making datasets readily-consumable by visualization tools.
- Write, debug, and test complex ETL processes for new or existing data pipelines.
- Create automated alarming and dashboarding to monitor data integrity.
- Create and manage capacity and performance plans.
- Act as the subject matter expert for the data structure and usage.
- Write and maintain database design and architecture documentation.
- Expert knowledge of SQL and of relational database systems and concepts.
- Experience building ETLs at scale on any major cloud provider (AWS, GCP: Cloud Composer, etc.)
- Knowledge of version control, shell scripting, the Unix filesystem, and automating deployments.
- Interaction with sales & marketing funnels and systems, preferably in a SaaS company.
The best parts of this job
- You will have a ton of autonomy. The potential to drive change and own this aspect of Gatsby is limitless.
- Your role will be key to making Gatsby the next way to build on the web - and a technology that enables the next billion internet users.
- You’ll be working in a safe, open environment of talented engineers who have a broad range of experience.
The worst parts of this job
- You will be in high demand and requests will come from all stakeholders on a regular basis. Ruthless prioritization will help.
- Balancing between short and long term priorities will get tricky but is definitely doable.
Benefits and perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- We’re remote first, so skip the commute
- Set up costs for a home office OR co-working/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- Wifi and cell phone reimbursement
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups
- Gatsby Sabbatical: 4 weeks paid vacation after 4 years tenure
Equal opportunity statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cultivating inclusivity and diversity is a top priority.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.