For over 80 years, GfK has been a reliable and trusted insight partner for the world’s biggest companies and leading brands who make a difference in every consumer’s life - and we will continue to build on this. We connect data, science and innovative digital research solutions to provide answers for key business questions around consumers, markets, brands and media. With our headquarters in Germany and a presence in around 60 countries worldwide, you benefit from our global company with a diverse community of ~9,000 employees.
Harnessing the power of our workforce, the greatest asset we have is our people. As part of GfK, you can take your future into your own hands. We value talent, skills and responsibility and support your development within our international teams. We are proud of our heritage and our future: Currently we are in the latter stages of a transformational journey from a traditional market research company to a trusted provider of prescriptive data analytics powered by innovative technology. This is only possible with extraordinary people and this is why we are looking for YOU to help create our future. For our employees as well as for our clients we pursue one goal: Growth from Knowledge!
Junior Machine Learning Engineer (m/w/d)
GfK is a global leader in data and analytics, providing consumer and market insights for over 85 years now. From our inception, we have placed our clients’ and partners’ trust at the core of our values. Over 8000 employees across 50 countries deliver insights and data, platforms and consulting services for our clients to support them in their decision-making.
One of our missions is to support manufacturers to understand consumer behaviour in the Fast Moving Consumer Goods sector. To achieve this goal, we own several consumer panels in different countries. One of the key tasks is to identify single items from their daily shopping trips and enrich the purchase information with details regarding the products (e.g. category, brand, SKU)
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will contribute to the development of our matching framework that enables the enrichment of consumer panel purchase data. Based on this data you will also create APIs for our app, that is our way to give back data-science-based insights to our panelists.
We work as a cross-functional team composed of machine learning engineers, SREs, software developers and data scientists.
Your home will be the Global Data Science department, a team of more than 60 Data Scientists and MLEs based in Nuremberg, London and Warsaw with diverse backgrounds.
Always eager to learn and share experiences, the team is a great environment for your personal development.
- Work with GfK's Consumer Panel and diverse 3rd party data and support the development of Data Science solutions that enable purchased items qualification.
- Help to create product-driven Data Science solutions by closely collaborating with the product manager/owner and the team’s data scientists.
- Develop and implement Data Science & machine learning models that are reproducible, well documented, and follow prescribed coding guidelines
- Be active as a member of our Agile Team, participate in the definition of tasks, share your findings, raise risks and uncertainty
- Support the presentation of GfK’s Data Science capabilities to our key stakeholders
- Participate in our MLE Community of Practice
- Foster Machine Learning related knowledge exchange within GfK
- Support the development and apply best practices in the area of Data Science and MLE
- Master’s degree that reflects strong statistical/mathematical/computer science skills
- Solid knowledge of optimization and/or machine learning algorithms and/or deep learning algorithms
- Solid statistical skills. Either in survey statistics (sampling, non-response adjustments, Bayesian statistics), or econometric modelling (program evaluation, forecasting, economic theory, panel data)
- Solid knowledge of Python and the respective development tools / IDEs (e.g. Jupyter, PyCharm)
- Good knowledge of cloud computing environments (AWS, GCP)
- Experience with NLP projects, from best practices to more sophisticated models
- Experience with common software engineering practices and frameworks (software design, version control, testing, code quality metrics
- Experience working with agile project management (Kanban/Scrum)
- Experience with productionizing machine learning models (REST API, containerization, scalability, performance optimization, …)
- Skills in performance optimization and scalability (parallelization, code optimization, containerization, functions as a service, …)
- Skills with regard to working in (big) database environments (RDBMS, DocumentDB, Spark, Hadoop)
- Ability to fluidly communicate in an English business environment
- Ability to collaborate with the team to carry out your assigned tasks in a self-organized and communicative way
- Help other team members with errors/tool setup and constantly strive to learn and improve
- Ability to think creatively in addressing technical and analytical objectives
We are an ethical and honest company that is wholly committed to its clients and employees. We are proud to be an inclusive workplace for all and are committed to equal opportunity in employment which focuses on all of our employees reaching their full potential. At GfK we work collaboratively with our colleagues but offer a flexible working approach, including dividing our time between office & remote working as well as the opportunity to flex our working hours around team core hours.
We offer an exciting work environment that brings people together. We encourage an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. We make use of the latest digital technologies. We are looking for self-starters, who accept challenges and create solutions.
Can there be a better place to take center stage in the digital revolution? We are excited to get to know you!