where banking feels good!Join our Growing team!
Headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, motusbank is a national, digital, full-service bank. Our parent company, Meridian, is the largest credit union in Ontario and the second largest in Canada. What’s different about motusbank? We don’t have public shareholders, so as a customer, you’re really a member. With a focus on better pricing and services over shareholder returns, motusbank brings the member-centric Meridian experience to Canadians outside of Ontario. If you’re curious about the name, motus literally means movement. And as a new movement in banking, motusbank is committed to making a real difference in the financial lives of Canadians.
We are currently looking for a Data Scientist
to join our team!
Working in close collaboration with the enterprise analytic, digital, marketing, risk management and IT teams the Data Scientist demonstrates the capability to help to turn data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound organizational decisions. The incumbent possesses a combination of business focus and advanced analytical, problem solving and programming capabilities to quickly cycle hypotheses through models, proposing innovative ways to test and assess scenarios by using data mining approaches (the process of discovering new patterns from large datasets) on the sets of information available.What you’ll do:
Communications for Results:
- Provides expertise on mathematical concepts for the broader applied analytics team and inspires the adoption of advanced analytics and data science across the organization.
- Help to interprets the meaning of new strategic directions and sets objectives and measurements. Implements monitoring and feedback systems to evaluate progress and identify ways of making continuous improvements.
- Solicits and offers ideas for improving business processes through insights with the objective of improving effectiveness and efficiency Educates the organization both from IT and the business perspectives on new approaches, such as testing hypotheses and statistical validation of results. Helps the organization understand the principles and the math behind the scientist process to drive organizational alignment
- Converses with, writes reports and creates/delivers presentations to colleagues and peer groups in ways that support problem solving and planning. Explains the context of multiple inter-related situations, asks searching, probing questions, and solicits expert advice prior to taking action and making recommendations.
- Provides business metrics for projects and initiatives to show improvements (contribution to the improvement should be monitored initially and over multiple iterations).
- Demonstrates the scientist qualities in results: clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logic, significance, and fairness.
- Gathers and analyzes information or data on current and future trends of best practice. Seeks information on issues impacting the progress of organizational and process issues. Translates up to date information into continuous improvement activities that enhance performance
- Research organizational and professional trends. Evaluates information sources, and collates and compares findings for bias, omission, and accuracy. Conducts objective analysis.
- Provides insight into leading analytic practices, designs and leads iterative learning and development cycles, and ultimately produces new and creative analytic solutions that will become part of core deliverables.
- Improves organizational performance though the application of original thinking to existing and emerging methods, processes, products, and services. Employs sound judgment in determining how innovations will be deployed to produce return on investment.
- Challenges conventional thinking and traditional ways of operating and invites stakeholders to identify issues and opportunities. Seeks out opportunities to improve, streamline, reinvent work processes. Explores multiple potential solutions and evaluates each with data.
- Identifies what data is available and relevant, including internal and external data sources, leveraging new data collection processes such as smart meters and geo-location information or social media.
- Diagnose problems using formal advanced problem-solving tools and techniques from multiple angles and probes underlying issues to generate multiple potential solutions
- Works in iterative processes with partners and validates findings.
- Develops experimental design approaches to validate finding or test hypotheses.
- Identifies and analyzes patterns in the volume of data supporting the initiative, the type of data (e.g., images, text, clickstream, or metering data) and the speed or sudden variations in data collection.
What you can bring to motusbank:
- Collaborates with other members of formal and informal groups in the pursuit of common missions, vision, values, and mutual goals.
- Actively solicits ideas and opinions from others to quickly accomplish specific objectives targeted at defined business outcomes.
- Works with IT teams to support data collection, integration, and retention requirements based on the input collected with the business.
- Assesses, with the business, the expected qualification and assurance of the information in support of the use case.
- Defines the validity of the information, how long the information is meaningful, and what other information it is related to
- Collaborates with data stewards to ensure that the information used follows the compliance, access management, and control policies and that it meets the qualification and assurance requirements of Motusbank.
- Partners with data stewards to define the data quality expectation in the context of the specific use case.
The Ideal Profile
What's in it for you?
- 5+ years of working experience in relevant quantitative and qualitative research and analytics.
- Strong programming skills (python and Java), data management (SQL and SAS) and statistical modeling (SAS or R).
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics or computer science or related field; Master degree preferred.
- Solid knowledge of statistical techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to come up with solutions to loosely defined business problems by leveraging pattern detection over potentially large datasets.
- Experience in report automation and report analytics.
- Advance knowledge in MS Office with visual basic.
- Experience using machine learning algorithms.
- Proficiency in the use of statistical packages.
- Proficiency in statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of one or more business/functional areas.
- Ability to travel on occasion to our offices located in St. Catharines and/or Toronto
Experience the Difference!
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We provide you with the tools and technology needed to delight your candidates and clients!
- You'll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top organizations around the world
- Remote and Flexible work arrangements!
- This isn't your typical corporate job. We work hard and we have fun!
motusbank committed to promoting an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected, and supported. We are dedicated to employing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities and Members in which we live and serve.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or disability.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview.
Thank you for your interest in motusbank.