At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app - one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 40 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!THE ROLE
Hopper is looking for a data-savvy individual to join our team as a Data Scientist and lead data-centric product development and complex business intelligence projects within our core air travel business unit. Every day you would draw powerful insights from our real-time feed of billions of flight search results and archives of several trillion data points. To succeed at Hopper you need the talent, passion, and experience to thrive in a highly performing company.IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
A PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- Frame and conduct complex exploratory analyses needed to deepen our understanding of Hopper users.
- Partner with product, business and strategy teams to leverage this user understanding for product improvements and other initiatives
- Use machine learning and big data tools on tremendously large and complex data sets to enhance our data-driven, personalized travel advice
- Conduct research into various aspects of our business and employ statistical and modeling techniques when appropriate to make recommendations to non-technical stakeholders
- Create advanced dashboards for product experiment tracking and business unit performance analysis using Amplitude and Tableau
- Find effective ways to simplify and communicate analyses to a non-technical audience.
- A degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or other quantitative disciplines
- Extremely strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to communicate complex technical work to a non-technical audience
- A strong passion for and extensive experience in conducting empirical research and answering hard questions with data
- Experience with a data visualization tool (Tableau preferred) and project analysis tool such as Amplitude
- Experience with relational databases and SQL, especially Hive
- Experience working with extremely large data sets
- Experience in Pandas, R, SAS or other tools appropriate for large scale data preparation and analysis
- Experience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools and underlying algorithms
- Proficiency with Unix/Linux environments