EnergyHub empowers utilities and their customers to create a clean, distributed energy future. We help consumers turn their smart thermostats, EVs, batteries, and other products into virtual power plants that keep the grid stable and enable higher penetration of solar and wind power.
Data is core to the function and operation of EnergyHub. We spend most of our time on customer facing systems, which means that your work on this team directly improves a product that impacts climate change while improving grid stability at the same time. If you’d like to make a difference for current and future generations using your data skills, you are in the right place.
We operate on a fivetran/DMS/snowflake/airflow stack, and we are in the middle of transitioning our transformation tooling to DBT from a mix of custom python batch processing in aws batch and snowpark wrappers.
- Design data models in partnership with product managers, data analysts, data scientists, and occasionally a backend engineer on another team.
- Port old code into DBT, possibly spotting uncaught bugs along the way
- Write new pipelines, in DBT, optimizing first for correctness, second for maintainability, and third for performance
- Set the bar for engineering best practices in an analytics engineering context
- Occasionally write or patch a data integration (written in python)
- find, evaluate, and adopt great tools and vendors
- give and accept feedback readily and with an open mind
- Participate in and contribute to architecture reviews in data engineering and engineering more broadly
- Educate, mentor and guide members of the Data team to improve their skill sets
Key Skills And Experience
We recognize that years of experience is an imperfect proxy for ability. If you have deep or intense experiences with any skill listed which do not meet the years listed and you achieved success with those skills, be sure to mention those experiences in your resume!
- 6 years of cumulative experience in roles for which the primary responsibility is programmatic data processing using at least one of the following languages/frameworks or something substantially similar: python, R, SQL, Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery, Vertica, ClickHouse, Julia, Scala, Spark, Flink, Kafka
- 4+ years of experience using DBT
- 5+ years of experience using SQL
- 4+ years of experience with python/R/julia or a similar scripting language, of which at least one year is with pandas
- 2+ years of experience writing api integration
Preferred Skills And Experience
- Mastery of SQL: you have not found a data transformation task that you cannot solve relatively cleanly in SQL (or at least SQL + Jinja/DBT). You can read, explain, and, refactor a large and complex sql statement into a collection of smaller ones, without access to someone who can answer questions about it.
- DBT expertise: You are comfortable implementing custom materialization types. You have implemented multiple project structures and can neutrally articulate pros and cons of different approaches. You are fluent in model selection syntax.
- Mastery of Snowflake: You can articulate the query profile that you are expecting before running a query, given the clustering keys of tables involved. You might have used MATCH_RECOGNIZE for event analysis. You have 1+ years of experience navigating database permissions, or a willingness to read a lot of documentation. You have a working knowledge of future grants and RBAC.
The salary range for this position is $145,000- $180,000. Salary offered may vary based on location, job-related knowledge, skills and experience.
Why work for EnergyHub?
- Collaborate with outstanding people: Our employees work hard, do great work, and enjoy collaborating and learning from each other.
- Make an immediate impact: New employees can expect to be given real responsibility for bringing new technologies to the marketplace. You are empowered to perform as soon as you join the team!
- Gain well rounded experience: EnergyHub offers a diverse and dynamic environment where you will get the chance to work directly with executives and develop expertise across multiple areas of the business.
- Work with the latest technologies: You’ll gain exposure to a broad spectrum of IoT, SaaS and machine learning obstacles, including distributed fault-tolerance, device control optimization, and process modeling to support scalable interaction with disparate downstream APIs.
- Be part of something important: Help create the future of how energy is produced and consumed. Make a positive impact on our climate.
- Focus on fun: EnergyHub places high value on our team culture. Happy hours and holiday parties are important to us, but what’s also important is how our employees feel every single day.
EnergyHub is a growing enterprise software company that works with the most forward-thinking companies in smart energy. Our platform lets consumers turn their smart thermostats, electric cars, water heaters, and other products into virtual power plants that keep the grid stable and enable higher penetration of solar and wind power. We work on technology that already provides energy and cost savings to millions of people through partnerships with the most innovative companies in the Internet of Things.
EnergyHub offers a generous benefits package including 100% paid medical for employees and a 401(k) with employer match. We offer a casual environment, the flexibility to set your own schedule, a fully stocked fridge and pantry, free Citi Bike membership, secure bike rack, gym subsidy, paid parental leave, and an education assistance program.
EnergyHub is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In connection with your application, we collect information that identifies, reasonably relates to or describes you (“Personal Information”). The categories of Personal Information that we may collect include your name, government-issued identification number(s), email address, mailing address, other contact information, emergency contact information, employment history, educational history, and demographic information. We collect and use those categories of Personal Information about you for human resources and other business management purposes, including identifying and evaluating you as a candidate for potential or future employment or future positions, recordkeeping in relation to recruiting and hiring, conducting analytics, and ensuring compliance with applicable legal requirements and Company policies.