citizenM is a global lifestyle hotel company involved in the full spectrum of the customer journey: from sourcing a potential reservation, to checking in and staying in the hotel, to the design and development of our hotels. This degree of vertical integration is unique in the industry.
This gives us an incredibly rich dataset to collect, transform, and analyze in order to improve the effectiveness of the operating model and therefore guest experience. Much of this data is combined in citizenM’s data platform.
As a data engineer you will have the opportunity to work citizenM’s rich data sources and bring those together in the data platform, where it will be prepared for consumption by the Business Intelligence Team and analysts across the company.
This role is part of the Business Intelligence Team, where you will be working with a team of data scientists and analysts to further develop the existing platform. citizenM’s Business Intelligence team is working with all disciplines within citizenM to provide insights and analytics. Due to the nature of the role there will be close collaboration with our friends from the Tech team.
- Build and maintain scalable data pipelines for (mainly) batch processing in our Azure cloud environment;
- Work closely with the team’s data scientists and analysts to develop citizenM analytical infrastructure in sync with the analytical roadmap;
- Apply dimensional modeling to design tables and views that map business processes into an enterprise data model;
- Support, propose and implement enhancements to citizenM’s data architecture;
- Monitoring the performance of the data platform and performing incident management, to warrant consistent data completeness and quality;
- Optimize the database architecture by balancing low operational costs with high performance;
- Build and support a complex ETL infrastructure to deliver clean and reliable data to the organization;
- Support the development of new products and services via ingestion, processing, and transforming data for reporting and analytics;
- Support company-wide data initiatives, including the onboarding of new systems or platforms such as citizenM’s customer data platform;
- Proactively automate manual processes throughout the business for higher efficiency, robustness, and speed;
- Enforce production standards and governance best practices in the management of enterprise-level data, metrics, and (data quality) reports
- Basic knowledge of networking, firewalls and Azure security & authorisation concepts
- Develop citizenM’s (relational) data models so that they are optimally geared towards analytical use;
- Use DevOps best practices such as continuous integration, continuous delivery in the production implementation; Azure Devops knowledge is a plus;
- Work with business stakeholders (incl domain experts, system specialists or vendors) to onboard relevant new data or update existing sources;
- Prepare documentation (incl ERDs and relevant flow visuals) of the systems onboarded to citizenM’s data platform;
- Keep track of the latest developments in the field of expertise, including a good understanding of Microsoft’s Azure data services development roadmap to advise the team on (new) solutions and stimulate innovation
qualifications / skills
- a genuine passion for data and the ability to combine strong data engineering and technical skills with business knowledge;
- a bachelor (masters preferred) degree, preferably in the field of data engineering, computer science, information technology or data science
- Ability to translate complex problems clearly and in nontechnical terms
- Advanced SQL knowledge, basic knowledge of Python at development level and affinity with Python/R as data science toolkits
- Demonstrated strength in data modeling, ETL development, MLOps, data warehousing, data pipeline and data lake creation, preferably in the Azure data stack (Azure certifications would be considered a plus)
- Knowledge of various data communication protocols (e.g. REST API, Websockets
- Ability to succeed in both collaborative and independent work environments
- Excellence in planning and execution
- Proven experience with repositories and version controlling
- Experience with an agile way of working
locations / hours
- Voorschoten Support office. This is a full-time position.
citizenM is an affordable luxury hotel chain for mobile citizens of the world. With style that will knock your socks off, we offer citizens a real home from home, plus the world’s fluffiest pillows. Our typical guest is a frequent traveler who is quality and design driven, and value conscious. We currently have hotels in the Netherlands, France, UK, Switzerland, Denmark, USA and Asia, with more to come soon. We are proud to put hospitality back into the hospitality industry, and have received numerous awards for our groundbreaking approach. We like to do things differently. This means our hotels are not traditional… and neither are our support offices. We're open-minded, with kind hearts and global minds.
citizenM loves diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from anyone.