As a Data Engineer within the Merchant Operations Data Platform team, you will take end to end ownership of the data-driven analytics product designed for Merchants. You are responsible for ingesting data from a variety of data sources and efficiently serving large data volumes, often in collaboration with our stakeholders. You will own underlying platform infrastructure and will guide data platform users to collaborate efficiently without compromising on data quality and consistency.
You will choose emerging technologies and approaches to create high-performance data processing solutions that scale in terms of volume as well as use-cases. You will challenge our status quo and help us define best practices for the betterment of the data platform.
Take a minute and check out our Intro page to the Merchant Operations Business Unit.
WHERE YOUR EXPERTISE IS NEEDED
- Gathering, transforming, and serving high-quality data on time to stakeholders using different serving standards like APIs, Datasets, etc.
- Be part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest standards when it comes to the quality of your code and implementation. Also, you will be designing, developing, and operating robust data integration pipelines to provide high-quality datasets.
- Consulting data platform users on how to better integrate and collaborate for the betterment of the product.
- Collaborating with Analysts and Product Managers to build and continuously improve a variety of data products that create value for our business.
- Be an amazing team player, and provide support and guidance to other engineers to help develop their technical capabilities.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Above 3 years of experience in designing, implementing, and deploying data-driven software in a production environment
- Solid programming skills in Python or Java. Scala is a plus.
- Understanding of distributed systems, software architecture & agile development.
- Experience in data processing frameworks like Apache Spark, or similar experience doing data analysis with SQL
- Good knowledge of analytical (e.g. Redshift) and relational (e.g. PostgreSQL) databases
- Experience with workflow management tools such as Airflow
- Hands-on experience in cloud technologies (AWS, Kubernetes, Docker)
- Pragmatic and curious, find the right tool for the right job. We solve business problems in the best possible way, but completion is better than perfection
- Great communication skills in English
PERKS AT WORK
- Culture of trust, empowerment and constructive feedback, open source commitment, meetups, game nights, 100+ internal and fun guilds, knowledge sharing through talks, internal tech academy and blogs, product demos, parties and events
- Competitive salary, employee share shop, training platform and training budget, free language courses (English / German), pension scheme, 40% Zalando shopping discount on most products from our catalogue, discounts from external partners, centrally located offices, public transport discounts, municipality services, great IT equipment, flexible working times, additional holidays and volunteering time off, diverse sports and health offerings
- Extensive onboarding, mentoring and personal development opportunities and access to an international team of experts
- Relocation assistance for internationals, PME family service and parent & child rooms* (*available only in select locations)
We celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, and business need.
Please note that all applications must be completed using the online form - we do not accept applications via e-mail.