You are a driven and motivated problem solver ready to pursue meaningful work. You strive to make an impact every day & not only at work, but in your personal life and community too. If that sounds like you, then you've landed in the right place.
Overview of the Position
The Incubation Lab is dedicated to driving innovation through AI within Commercial Lines Data Science at The Hartford. The lab focuses on sourcing and delivering innovative solutions for our Insurance portfolio by evaluating vendors in insuretechs, new cutting-edge technologies and building machine learning models.
The Hartford seeks an energetic and passionate Data Science leader to focus on designing, developing, and implementing solutions that will modernize and transform our operations and business. This position requires domain expertise in areas such as deep learning, NLP, Image recognition, statistical or probabilistic modeling and data visualization. In this role, you will be leading data scientists working with some of most modern techniques in Machine learning and influence how AI/ML is leveraged in new ways for insurance applications across the firm
Solutions that are developed will support a wide range of business areas which include underwriting, claims, operations, risk engineering, and digital analytics. As the Lead Data Scientist, you will focus on developing analytic and predictive modeling solutions that feature engineering assets, experimental design, as well as modeling techniques and abilities. Our Data Scientist toolbox consists of but not limited to predictive modeling techniques, Cognitive Computing, Unsupervised learning, and Augmented intelligence. As a Data Scientist you will support and explore those assets over time through customer adoption and establishing a rhythm within the data science community. Success will depend on your ability to collaborate and partner with business stakeholders and other data science teams in a way that supports the vision and sustains a culture that treats analytics as a corporate asset.
- Leading a team of data scientists to research and test cutting edge technologies & algorithms that drive operational efficiencies and improves the bottom-line. The role requires a healthy balance of hands-on work as well as peer reviewing the team’s work.
- Assist in identifying and assessing the value of new data sources and analytical techniques to ensure ongoing competitive advantage
- Articulate cost-benefit analysis and value add of the ML solutions on operational decisions.
- Be a thought leader and go-to expert for AI/ML topics, strategy, and long-term vision on how to evolve and advance our Data Science & Engineering practice
- Remain current on research techniques and become familiar with state-of-the-art tools applicable to your function
- Engage with technical and business stakeholders to define and design solution concepts
- Lead the design and implement complex technological Proof of Concepts and products
- 6+ years of relevant experience in Data Science.
- Advanced degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Physics, or other quantitative fields
- Experience in commercial markets insurance (i.e. Workers Compensation, General Liability, Property, Group Benefits, Specialty, etc.) a plus.
- Demonstrated Leadership and organizational abilities
- Experience in modeling data and analytical capability. Experience in several deep learning domains from NLP to image-based AI is desirable. Strong command of statistical knowledge behind algorithms wis required
- Experience in data engineering and big data technologies
- Expert level storytelling & presentation skills along with developed written communication skills.
- Coding in python
- Working knowledge of AWS is preferred
- Experience producing and rapidly delivering minimum viable product. Ability to work on innovative and new projects with a fail-fast approach to provide optimal solutions that bring the most value to the business
- Experience with ESRI and ArcGIS is desirable
- Ownership: Drive and commitment to what is necessary to get the job done efficiently, thoroughly, and professionally.
- Innovative: Seeks new and creative ways to approach analytical exercises and development projects.
- Results-oriented: Demonstrates a sense of urgency and accountability for business issues.
- Customer focused: Builds effective relationships within the data science community and strong cross-functional partnerships with business and technology teams. Support a high-performance collaborative culture
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
Dir Data Science - GD06AE