Netflix Original shows and films are produced all over the world and watched by more than 200 million accounts globally. We aim to give content creators the opportunity to bring their most visionary ideas to life and create joy for our members around the world through innovative storytelling.
The Studio Finance Data Science & Engineering team at Netflix is a group of Analytics Engineers, Data Engineers, and Data Scientists. We help scale our rapidly growing Studio by focusing on data sets for production finance, budgeting, and our global workforce of vendors and production talent. These data sets represent tens of billions of dollars - a large portion of Netflix’s revenue - reinvested into entertaining the world with new, original shows. We develop new data sets and pipelines, conduct analyses, develop analytic tools, and build predictive models and algorithms using machine learning, all with the goal of producing the best content we can in the best way we can. Check out this blog post to learn more about the area and some of the problems we're working on.
We’re looking for a Senior Data Engineer to help us architect, source, and build these foundational data sets into a rich, detailed playground for both our own team members and the hundreds of Studio colleagues we partner with. We’ve only just started down this path. This is an opportunity to shape a high-impact data space at Netflix from its early stages.
As a Senior Data Engineer in this space, you will...
- Architect, strengthen, and expand the core data models that our Studio uses to answer business questions and evaluate its financial decisions. You’ll get to envision how all the data elements from multiple sources should fit together as a whole, and then execute on that plan
- Partner with Analytics Engineers, Data Scientists, Software Engineers, and Studio business teams to create data sets that will serve analysis and reporting needs intuitively
- Help our Analytics Engineers craft the backend data layer of prototype applications or microservices used for reporting and analytic workflows
- Source data from new Studio systems or rich unstructured records that are waiting to be structured!
- Develop best practices for governance of data sets with sensitive information
What you bring to the role:
- Hands-on experience building production data pipelines using one or more frameworks such as Spark, Flink or Hive/Hadoop
- Expertise in data modeling and establishing data architecture across multiple systems
- Proficiency in Python and comfort working in a variety of tech stacks
- Experience ingesting and managing data sets that may be messy or incomplete at source
- Strong communication; able to own and deepen direct relationships with our Engineering, Product Management, and Studio partners
- Enthusiasm about innovating and learning in a fast paced environment
- Comfort with ambiguity; able to thrive with minimal oversight and process
You will have the opportunity to impact the business in a meaningful way. You will have the freedom to innovate, solve interesting problems and influence in a fast paced, exciting environment. You will work with stunning colleagues who love to solve hard problems, and who not only expect but also foster high performance. You can learn more about the Netflix culture at jobs.netflix.com/culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.