Locations - Leeds, Manchester, Stratford
We have four Data Scientist (SEO) roles available across two teams within HMRC Data Science.
In these roles you will be given ample opportunity and support for personal and professional development, including upskilling on tools, approaches, and techniques. There’s a strong emphasis on development and mentoring across the teams: when you learn something cool, share it!
The development opportunities will be driven by a mix of your ideas, your interests, and the skills needed for our projects. You will be given a lot of freedom to decide the best way for you to work and how you'd like to grow as a data scientist.
In all four roles you will be working on data science projects that make a real difference to customers across various high priority areas in HMRC. Most of your time will be spent identifying, developing, and delivering operational projects. However, you will have ample time to invest in R&D and training opportunities, a key aspect of our way of working.
We’re keen that you come up with ideas for possible future projects and will give you the scope to investigate this for yourself. However, you’ll also need to be able to recognise when an approach is not working and be confident enough to stop development.
Some examples of the sort of projects we deliver:
- Building machine learning models to identify fraudulent claims against the Covid-19 support schemes.
- Using natural language processing to help HMRC act on customer feedback at scale to continue improving our services.
- Building large-scale data products as part of delivering the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme during the Covid-19 pandemic.
If you would like to know more about the role, we will be holding a session via MS Teams to give you the opportunity to hear from us about what we do, how we work, and what we are looking for in a candidate. This will be held on Wednesday 30th of November at 13:00. To register your interest please fill in this form: https://forms.office.com/r/SEQLc2Vfr1 .
The following skills are essential to the role. Each of them corresponds with one of the technical skills in the Data Science job role in the Analysis Function Career Framework.
- Ability to manage data science projects through to successful delivery, for example scoping, capturing user requirements, iterative delivery (corresponding Data Science skill: Understanding product delivery across the life cycle).
- Ability to understand, apply, and explain a variety of data science techniques, for example machine learning, graph analysis, natural language processing (corresponding Data Science skill: Applied maths, stats, and scientific practices).
- Ability to use a programming language effectively. It doesn’t really matter which language you know. We are looking for evidence that you can write high-quality, effective, and reproducible code in collaboration with others (corresponding Data Science skill: Programming and build).
- Ability to generate insight from challenging datasets, where “challenging” may be because of size, complexity, or other factors (corresponding Data Science skill: Data engineering and manipulation).
- 25 Days Annual Leave (increasing by 1 day per year, up to 30 days)
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension