An experienced Data Scientist is required to spearhead development of the machine and deep learning activities within the Geo Information (GI) group.
Telespazio UK is part of a company containing over 2500 people working in the growing field of Space Systems and operations and Geo Information. Telespazio is majority owned by Leonardo, one of the UK’s largest defence, aerospace and security companies. We are pleased to be able to offer the majority of our staff a flexible, hybrid working model in order to support positive work-life interaction.
You will lead the scientific development of new products and applications that use statistics, analytics, machine learning, forecasting and optimization to enhance efficiency and performance.
Telespazio UK is investing heavily in relevant technology, and offers the opportunity to be involved in exciting project work within the space sector with scope for further progression and upskilling.
Responsibilities / Duties
- Defining / developing SAR-based services and/or technology based upon user requirements
- Working with customers to establish Geo-Information based needs
- Developing prototype and proof of concept systems to demonstrate business need
- Managing a small team of data scientists
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior team members
- Support business development activities from initial customer requirements through to final proposal generation
- Continuous improvements to automated data handling tools
- Supporting bid activities
Qualifications / Experience
- Degree in mathematics, computer science or equivalent, along with commercial experience or advanced degree (PhD, for example) in data science.
- Strong computer literacy skills, including coding experience in Python
- Experience with machine and deep learning, particularly the development and optimisation of neural networks
- Inventiveness and problem solving skills
- Experience of deploying machine learning applications to local and cloud infrastructures
- Experience of using statistical or data analytics techniques
- Interest in, and enthusiasm for, climate, environment or Earth observation science
- Experience in applying data science techniques to spatial, and/or Earth observation datasets
- Experience in applying data science techniques to SAR data
- Understanding of sound data management and adhering to corporate standards
- Computing experience of the Linux operating system
- Desire to be a team player capable of working with staff at all levels, alongside the ability to work independently
- Self-starter and effective time management, with particular skills in multitasking
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- Commercial awareness
Competitive Package covering salary, generous holiday allowance, training plan and more
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU, or UK (as applicable). Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.