At BBC Global Digital News & Streaming, (a team situated within BBC Studios, the commercial arm of the BBC) we aim to help people understand the world around them, make informed choices, and take an active part in society and democracy. As we expand our footprint to meet increasing demand for our style of quality and impartial journalism and unscripted content in North America, we are seeking motivated, passionate, high performing individuals across a variety of skillsets to join our global team. Our primary locations are New York, Washington DC, and London, though as a distributed workforce we are open to applicants in any location where the BBC has a commercial presence.
Join us and be an essential part of one of the world’s most recognized brands and trusted news organizations.
Purpose of the role
BBC Studios now have an exciting vacancy for a data analyst within our award winning International News division. Working within our newly formed consumer growth and monetisation team you will leverage data from our paywall and subscription management systems, along with data from analytics, audience and marketing platforms as well as internal data warehouses to help the wider business deliver against its strategic growth and monetisation targets.
Reporting to the Principal Data Analyst this is a full-time hybrid working position, based in London
- Build analysis using data from our analytics tools and associated cloud platforms to understand which audience behaviours and habits help drive registration on digital news products
- Working with the product team, Design and manage experiments within our paywall and personalisation tool Zephr utilising analysis and data you have produced
- Working with the data engineering team, create data pipelines from analytics tools such as Piano, Zephr and BBC Account to allow automation of business reporting dashboards and generation of insight
- Provide clear and effective communications with stakeholders including creating engaging presentations and explaining technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Build your knowledge and learning new skills by attending workshops, seminars and conferences or self-learning materials
- Identify process improvements to our in-house experimentation and reporting processes.
Scope & Impact
- Understand how users interact with our registration funnel, identifying key audience behaviours and segments as we pivot our free to access services behind registration and in future subscription
- Effectively translate raw data into analysis and recommended actions that will drive our business forward and help deliver against business objectives
- Develop and monitor metrics and KPIs to determine business performance against objectives.
- Build your knowledge and learning new skills by attending workshops, seminars and conferences or self-learning material and be an active contributor to the Studios data team
- Work with product managers to design and run experiments with our paywall management platform, providing insight and recommendations to help drive our metering strategies
- Build relationships with stakeholders across our business (Product, Editorial, Commercial and Marketing) to ensure we are using data to inform our decisioning
- Empower stakeholders across the business to make data-informed decisions by building self-serve reporting eg in Tableau
Are you the right candidate?
As a global business, diversity, equity, and inclusion among team members is essential to our success. We therefore encourage highly skilled candidates from traditionally under-represented groups to submit their applications, even if they don’t check absolutely every box on our list of desired work experience.
Knowledge & Skills
- Proficiency in SQL and or Python / R to analyse large datasets.
- Exposure to audience analytics tools such as Piano, GA or Adobe strongly desirable
- Strong data visualisation skills , using BI tool such as Tableau, Power Bi, Qlik or similar
- Exposure to paywall management or personalisation tools such as Piano Composer or Zephr advantageous
- Good working knowledge of statistical techniques
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner to senior stakeholders
- Desire to understand, in detail, the consumer experience on BBC News digital products
- 2+ years’ experience in a digital setting working in an analytical role.
- Experience of delivering commercial outcomes from the creation and distribution of advanced analytics
- Good communication skills - a great candidate will be able to talk to other analysts, and non-specialists, and can communicate with people remotely across multiple BBC sites
- Autonomous and problem-solving oriented
- Detail focused whilst being able to maintain a view of the bigger picture
- Keen to challenge the status quo and take initiatives to drive positive changes
- Able to navigate complex and disparate systems and datasets
- Self-starter with a natural inclination for data management
- An enthusiasm for writing clean, well-documented, and testable code