HUMAN was founded in 2012 in a Brooklyn sci-fi bookstore by Tamer Hassan, Michael Tiffany, Dan Kaminsky, and Ash Kalb. Our humble beginnings led to the creation of the Human Defense Platform, the backbone of all our products that safeguards enterprises from sophisticated bots, fraud, and account abuse. Today we verify the humanity of more than 20 trillion interactions per week for some of the largest companies and internet platforms.
Our hacker roots still permeate everything we do. You will be a part of the HUMAN front line in our commitment to protecting companies (and in turn, their customers) from both revenue and reputation risk caused by digital attacks. However, HUMAN is not the center of this story. Humans like yourself are. We firmly believe in putting people first. This approach spans our extensive total rewards package, inclusive of competitive compensation, benefits, stipends - as well as our day-to-day culture - to ensure every human is empowered to do the best work of their life. We want to hear about the marathon you’re training for. We want to see pictures of your pets. We want to know your favorite robot (we have many).
Even if you’re not a conventional “hacker” we can assure you that you are a hacker in your own right. We want to work with people like you who break down problems to build up better solutions. That’s what makes us HUMAN.
You’ll be joining us at an exciting moment in the HUMAN story: we joined forces with PerimeterX in a market-changing merger, as well as recently acquired clean.io to enhance the Human Defense Platform. Together under the HUMAN brand, we will disrupt the economics of cybercrime. We hope you can join us in that mission.
HUMAN Security is seeking a Data Scientist who will utilize analytic methods and tools (e.g., applied mathematics, probability and statistics, data modeling, etc.), to translate complex and technical findings on sophisticated Bot attacks from across HUMAN’s proprietary telemetry signals into narratives and data visualizations to support mission capabilities for our customers. As a key member of the HUMAN data sciences team, you will apply qualitative and quantitative methods to the analysis of data utilizing various libraries and packages, including ETL tools, data APIs, and data services. Sophisticated Bot attacks are an ever increasing threat to both our commercial and Federal clients, therefore the Data Scientist role for HUMAN Federal will be the driving force in helping eradicate Bot-based fraud across various high-side and low-side attack surfaces for the Federal sector.
What you'll do:
- Develop informational and analytic products designed to increase situational awareness and advanced warning of current and emerging cybersecurity threats and risks.
- Design, develop, construct, test and maintain architectures to process data and operate data-driven analytics in support of mission and business functions.
- Draft and coordinate intelligence reporting, and briefings
- Discover and validate opportunities for data acquisition. Develop data set processes for data modeling, mining, and production.
- Employ a variety of languages and tools (e.g., scripting languages) positively impacting system interoperability.
- Recommend ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality.
- Conduct research to offer mission solutions and validate / answer business questions.
- Leverage large volumes of data from multiple sources to answer mission and business questions.
- Employ sophisticated analytics, programs, machine learning, and statistical methods to prepare data for use in analytical processes and client facing prescriptive modeling.
- Explore and examine data for hidden patterns.
- Automate work through the use of predictive and prescriptive analytics.
- Develop processes to extract/transform/load (ETL) data between different systems.
- Document results and prepare reports based on analysis that explain the data and results in terms meaningful to stakeholders.
- Develop new ways of sifting through global-scale telemetry
- Source from proprietary internal information leading to new insights
Who you are:
- Knowledge of how the internet, web browsers and mobile apps work.
- Knowledge of basic code/string obfuscation techniques and how to defeat them.
- Proven reverse engineering experience. Alternatively, strong iOS/Android developer professional experience.
- One of these: Python/Java/Kotlin/C/C++/Objective-C/SWIFT experience
- Understanding of threats, fraud, information security vulnerabilities, and other cyber security-related events.
- Basic SQL querying skills
- Ability to write high-quality documentation.
- Willingness to give presentations both internally and externally.
- Track record of independent, creative problem solving with large amounts of complex data.
- Proven experience of coaching a small team
- Exercises creativity in applying non-traditional approaches to large-scale analysis of unstructured data in support of high-value use cases visualized through multi-dimensional interfaces.
- Handle processing and index requests against high-volume collections of data and high-velocity data streams.
- Ability to make discoveries in the world of big data.
- Requires strong technical and computational skills and the ability to code design, develop, and deploy sophisticated applications using advanced unstructured and semi-structured data analysis techniques and utilizing high-performance computing environments.
- Ability to utilize advanced tools and computational skills to interpret, connect, predict and make discoveries in complex data and deliver recommendations for business and analytic decisions.
- Proficient with Looker dashboards & LookML
- AdTech experience
- bash/powershell or other scripting experience.
- Full OSI stack knowledge
- Dynamic/static analysis of software using 3rd party tools.
- Knowledge of military/defense posture and global events impacting national security
Life at HUMAN:
HUMAN prides itself on being an equal opportunity workplace. We firmly believe in putting people first regardless of who you are, where you come from, how you identify, or who your favorite robot is (we have many). We are on a mission to protect the integrity of the internet for everyone, so we welcome all individuals to come to share their unique experiences and perspectives as we fight against cybercrime together!
With Humans located in all parts of the world, we’ve fully embraced our diversity of thought and are always looking for innovative ways to connect with one another - even in virtual reality! Although New York City is our HQ, with teams in London, Virginia, and Victoria, we trust our Humans in choosing where they work and how they work. The benefits package we provide reflects our remote-first culture and our commitment to our Humans’ personal career development, which includes annual stipends for home office setup, well-being, and growth & development. We also offer weekly lunches, flexible time off, no-meeting Fridays, HUMAN days, sabbatical programs, and so much more.
We’re constantly trying to anticipate the needs of our Humans to ensure each one of us is equally prepared to do some of the best work of our life. Taking care of one another is part of the HUMAN experience and how we build true HUMAN connections.
If you are an individual with a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us directly.