Data Scientists are responsible for modeling complex business problems, discovering new business insights and finding opportunities through the use of algorithmic, statistical, data-mining and visualization techniques. In addition, this role also integrates and prepares large, varied datasets and designs and builds specialized databases and computing environments (data architecture). The incumbents communicate and present results of their research in a structured and clear way that can be easily understood by various business stakeholders and clients. Ultimately, the Data Scientists work closely with various stakeholders across the Corporation to turn data into meaningful insights that is then used to make sound business decisions.
- Works under general supervision to model moderately complex business problems, discover business insights and identify opportunities through the use of statistical, algorithmic, data mining and visualization techniques.
- Identifies business requirements and anticipated outcomes by working with company stakeholders.
- Works with business analysts to suggest other possible solutions of interest to the client.
- Models and frames business scenarios that are meaningful and have impact on critical business processes and/or decisions.
- Assists in solving client/stakeholder analytics problems and documents results and methodologies.
- Works in iterative processes and validates findings.
- Discovers patterns in data through the employment of appropriate algorithms.
- Uses the expected assurance and qualification of information to quantify the accuracy metrics of analysis.
- Provides relevant business metrics for projects to substantiate and demonstrate improvements.
- Monitors and tracks the performance of decision systems and statistical models on an on-going basis.
- Consistently demonstrates high standards of integrity by supporting the Lifetime Healthcare Companies’ mission and values and adhering to the Corporate Code of Conduct and leading to the Lifetime Way values and beliefs.
- Maintains high regard for member privacy in accordance with the corporate privacy policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance is expected and required.
- Performs other functions as assigned by management.
Level II – requires similar responsibilities as level I, in addition to:
- Works under general direction to model complex business problems, discover business insights and identify opportunities through the use of statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques.
- Selects pertinent and relevant sources of information in collaboration with company subject matter experts.
- Authorizes and qualifies where information can be stored and what information, external to the organization, may be used in support of various projects and initiatives.
- Assesses the volume of data supporting projects and initiatives, the type of data (i.e. text, images, clickstream or metering data) and the speed or sudden variations in data collection.
- Collaborates with other discipline areas in the Analytics and Data Division to ensure that information used follows the compliance, access/security management, and control policies and that it meets the qualification and assurance requirements of the Corporation.
- Recommends ongoing improvements to methods and algorithms that lead to findings, including new information.
- Presents and illustrates the rationale of findings in easy to understand terms for the business.
- Identifies and determines what data is available and relevant, including both internal and external data sources, leveraging new data collection processes.
- Works with the appropriate teams to support and enhance data collection, integration, and retention requirements based on the input collected with the project/initiative clients and stakeholders.
- Solves client analytics problems and disseminates/communicates results and methodologies.
- Works in iterative processes with the client and other stakeholders and validates findings.
- Validates findings and tests hypotheses through the development of experimental design approaches.
- Assesses, with stakeholders and clients, the expected qualification and assurance of the information in support of projects and initiatives.
Level III – requires similar responsibilities as levels I and II, in additional to:
- Partners with other discipline areas in the Analytics and Data Division to define the data quality expectations in the context of specific projects and initiatives.
- Educates stakeholders and clients throughout the Corporation both from Data and Analytics and the business perspectives on new approaches, such as testing hypotheses and statistical validation of results.
- Helps stakeholders and clients understand the principles and the math behind Data and Analytics processes to drive organizational buy-in.
- Identifies and analyzes patterns in the volume of data supporting projects and initiatives, the type of data (i.e. text, images, clickstream or metering data) and the speed or sudden variations in data collection.
- Independently designs experiments, test hypotheses, model highly complex business problems, discover business insights and identify opportunities through the use of statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques.
- Leads the discovery process to identify business requirements and anticipated outcomes, working with company stakeholders.
- Offers strategic recommendations on data collection, integration, and retention requirements integrating knowledge of best practices and business requirements.
- Develops effective and innovative approaches to solve client’s analytics problems and disseminate/communicate results and methodologies
- Uses scenario modeling to validate analysis.
- Identifies and creates appropriate algorithms to discover patterns in various datasets.
- Utilizes patterns and variations in the volume, speed and other characteristics of data, and the type of data in predictive analysis for projects and initiatives.
- Develops usage and access control system and policies in collaboration with other discipline areas in the Analytics and Data Division.
- Partners with other discipline areas in the Analytics and Data Division in continuous improvement processes impacting data quality for various project and initiatives.
- Communicates, collaborates and works with business subject matter experts and organizational leadership at all levels
Note of Classification
We include multiple levels of classification differentiated by demonstrated knowledge, skills, and the ability to manage increasingly independent and/or complex assignments, broader responsibility, additional decision making, and in some cases, becoming a resource to others. In addition to using this differentiated approach to place new hires, it also provides guideposts for employee development and promotional opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Economics or related field and 1-3 years of related work experience (i.e. business intelligence, predictive analytics, data modeling and mining, statistics, etc.,).
- 1 year of experience using databases and manipulating large datasets.
- 1 year of experience with a general-purpose programming language (Big data frameworks such as Hadoop MapReduce, Java, others).
- Experience in the use of statistical packages (such as R or SAS).
- Familiarity with basic principles of distributed computing and databases.
- Demonstrates the following scientific qualities in work: significance, breadth, depth, clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, logic and fairness.
- Demonstrable ability to quickly understand new concepts and to come up with original solutions to various mathematical issues.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Level II – requires similar qualifications as level I, in addition to:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Economics or related field and minimum 3 years of related work experience (i.e. business intelligence, predictive analytics, data modeling and mining, statistics, etc.,).
- Master’s Degree a plus.
- 3+ years of relevant analytics experience.
- Strong knowledge of statistical techniques.
- Strong technical and programming skills (Big data frameworks such as Hadoop MapReduce, Java, others), and statistical modeling (such as R or SAS).
- Experience using machine learning algorithms.
- Proficiency in the use of statistical software and packages.
- Proficiency in forecasting/predictive analytics, quantitative analytics, statistical analysis, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms.
Level III – requires similar qualifications as Levels I and II, in addition to:
- 8+ years of relevant analytics experience.
- High level of proficiency in the use of statistical software and packages.
- High level of proficiency in forecasting/predictive analytics, quantitative analytics, statistical analysis, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms.
- In-depth healthcare industry/business knowledge.
- Experience mentoring individuals and guiding teams a plus.
- Ability to travel across regions.
The Lifetime Healthcare Companies aims to attract the best talent from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and experiential backgrounds, to diversify our workforce and best reflect the communities we serve.
Our mission is to foster an environment where diversity and inclusion are explicitly recognized as fundamental parts of our organizational culture. We believe that diversity of thought and background drives innovation which enables us to provide leading-edge healthcare insurance and services. With that mission in mind, we recruit the best candidates from all communities, to diversify and strengthen our workforce.
OUR COMPANY CULTURE:
Employees are united by our Lifetime Way Values & Behaviors that include compassion, pride, excellence, innovation and having fun! We aim to be an employer of choice by valuing workforce diversity, innovative thinking, employee development, and by offering competitive compensation and benefits.
In support of the American with Disabilities Act, this job description lists only those responsibilities and qualifications deemed essential to the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer