Data Analyst I
Location: Houston, TX and/or Remote
Reports to: Enterprise Solution Architect
Brief Description of Sunnova
Sunnova is a different kind of Power Company, offering solar and storage services to homeowners within the United States and its territories through our network of local solar dealers and solar standard community homebuilders. Our mission is powering energy independenceTM and changing the energy industry. At Sunnova, we believe in achieving more by working together; our diverse workforce allows an inclusive and innovative culture to power our long-term growth. Our people focus on thinking beyond traditional limits – and to do that, we need the creativity and energy of every person.
Come be a part of the fastest growing segment of the energy industry!
The Data Analyst I Position
Sunnova Energy is searching for a Data Analyst I who is passionate about data, analytics, and data-driven decision making. You will learn our business, our data model, and the unique challenges of the solar industry, and you’ll combine that knowledge with your expertise in reporting, visualization, and analysis to equip Sunnova’s leaders with the data insights they need to drive the business forward.
Data Analyst I Responsibilities
- Designs and builds detailed reports and dashboards for management and other departments by gathering, analyzing, interpreting, and visualizing data
- Collaborates with multiple business stakeholders to understand reporting needs, identifies the data needed, interpret data, and proposes techniques for visualizing the data
- Develops a holistic view of the company's data model and how it supports various organizational functions
- Collaborates with data engineers, architects, and developers to articulate requirements for new data sources, queries, and views that require custom development
- Guides colleagues on how to properly organize findings and read data collected
- Researches and properly evaluates sources of information to determine possible limitations in reliability or usability
- Writes SQL queries that have low level of complexity
- Identifies data quality issues, raises applicable questions to the business and pod, and makes recommendations for correcting anomalies
- Looks for order, patterns, and trends in data and translates them into business insights
- Works closely with data engineers and software developers to identify and pre-emptively react to changes that will impact reporting.
- Collaborates with QA Analysts in the development of testing strategy, test scenarios and schedule.
- Identifies issues or potential risks with projects and makes recommendations to IT leadership regarding alternatives or solutions.
- Provides accurate estimates of level of effort and duration needed for development initiatives.
- Participates in daily scrums, works with Scrum Master and QA Team on projects and supports delivery timelines and priorities
- Designs, documents and presents solutions to senior leaders in IT
- Solves problems independently with limited supervision
- Works effectively in a matrix environment where 1) day-to-day tasks are determined and executed on agile/scrum team under the leadership of a scrum master and 2) career development and coaching, goal setting, performance evaluations and issue escalation are coordinated through a separate manager
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 2-4 years in data analysis, financial analysis, or other business analytics
- Familiar with analyzing substantial amounts of data, performing analytical procedures, and drawing conclusions from the data
- Proficient at creating data sources, reports, and dashboards using data visualization application such as Tableau and Salesforce reports
- Familiar with relational database concepts and familiar with SQL
- Familiar with Tableau Prep or similar data grooming processes
- Proficient with eliciting and documenting business requirements, processes, and workflows
- Proficient at recognizing potential data quality issues and deviations from the norm
- At least one Tableau certification preferred
- Exposure to Salesforce preferred
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in cloud-first IT environments, with an emphasis on AWS
- Experience with AWS Redshift or other columnar database systems
- Experience in the energy industry, especially renewable energy
- Experience with big data technologies and data lakes
- Open-office environment and/or Remote Home Office
- Extended periods of time working at computer workstation
Sunnova offers a generous employee reward package that includes:
- Comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, healthcare flexible spending account, and 401(k) with employer match.
- Competitive compensation & annual bonus
- Paid time off, including 10 holidays and Paid Parental Leave
- Cell phone allowance for many roles
- Free access to onsite fitness center in Houston and/or discounted fitness memberships through health provider
- Complimentary garage parking in Houston
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are selected for a position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.