Job Description Summary:As a Business Data Analyst, you will use a variety of tools and techniques to simplify complex data into easy-to-interpret and actionable visualizations for senior leaders. You will create reports that help drive strategic objectives for stakeholders within and outside of the Budget Office. You will have the opportunity to become an expert and leader in report creation across four systems (i.e., Tableau, Workday Financials, Workday Adaptive Planning, and Office Connect), utilizing that expertise in a collaborative and team-oriented environment where accountability, integrity and respect are among the core values. You will provide advice on functional capabilities of data analytic tools and platforms and ensure data integrity of data elements through regular audits.Job Description:ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIESDuties may be performed solely for a specific business or functional area or a combination of areas.
- Extracts and analyzes various volume/dimensional data in order to investigate complex business problems through a range of data preparation, modeling, analysis and/or visualization techniques.. Uses information to produce insights in business and operational functional areas.
- Creates data visualization mock-ups and business intelligence platform-based prototypes that reflect the appropriate context to inform decision-making.
- Supports the release of monthly financial dashboards at the institution and division level. Administers data validation process ensuring data integrity of the architecture and formulas within Tableau and other tools and platforms.
- Supports data model, data storage and data automation processes by running queries, extracting data, and performing testing and validation of the data model. Provides support on the organization and structure of data from different platforms and/or data in different tables.
- Identifies and resolves data quality issues for assigned data assets.
- Prepares ad hoc and regular summary reports and dashboards in supported business area and systems such as Tableau, Workday Financials and Workday Adaptive Planning, ensuring integrity of information. Resolves production issues with extracts and dashboards.
- Assists in identifying dashboard requirements. Under the direction of Associate Director of Budget and Cost Analysis, advises on functional capabilities of data analytic platforms, appropriate data structures and models, data preparation, and data source connection issues.
- Maintains an appropriate standard of confidentiality. When handling secure, privileged, sensitive, or confidential information and matters, maintains strict confidence and exercises care to prevent disclosure to others. Accesses confidential information for work-related reasons only, following the policies and procedures of the organization. Ensures that any privileged, sensitive, or confidential information is securely stored, disposed of, and transmitted according to the Institutional guidance.NONESSENTIAL JOB DUTIESRelated duties and special projects as assigned.JOB SPECIFICATIONSRequired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Expertise in one or multiple data analytic tools, platforms, and visualization software (e.g., Tableau). Knowledge in report writing and capabilities within financial and budgeting and forecasting platforms (e.g., Workday Adaptive Planning, and Workday Financials) Strong Microsoft Excel skills. Expertise in query tools, modeling, and data analysis. Excellent customer service & troubleshooting skills. Excellent attention to detail. Ability to solve intellectual problems of some variety and complexity. Ability to manage and maintain privileged, sensitive, and confidential information and matters appropriately. Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced office environment during peak periods. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to operate with appreciable latitude for independent judgement and action. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies' departments. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor's Degree in related field, or equivalent knowledge.Minimum Experience: Two years of related professional experience. Physical Capabilities: Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time.Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: None.Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Reports to Associate Director of Budget and Cost Analysis. Sets objectives with supervisor.Work Environment: Hybrid Office/Telecommute environment, expected onsite percentage 20%, with occasional travel between National Academies' facilities and to off-site meeting/sponsor locations. In accordance with the National Academies' commitment to provide a safe and healthy workplace, all employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except as otherwise permitted under a reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. Unless granted an accommodation, successful applicants will be required to confirm their vaccination status and proof of vaccination promptly upon beginning employment. Applicants needing accommodations should indicate this in their application; applicants will not be discriminated against in the hiring process on the basis of requesting an accommodation.The National Academies' Statement on Diversity and Inclusion:To promote diversity and inclusion in the sciences, engineering, and medicine, we are committed to increasing the diversity of the National Academies' staff, members, and volunteers to reflect the populations we serve. We pledge to cultivate an environment and culture that promotes inclusion and values respectful participation of all individuals who help advance the mission of the institution.Equal Opportunity Employer:It is the policy of the National Academies to recruit, hire, transfer, compensate, and promote people in all job categories and to administer all other personnel actions, terms and conditions of employment in a manner that is consistent with equal employment, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, ethnicity, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, medical condition for which a person has been rehabilitated or cured, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, political affiliation, personal appearance, matriculation, unemployment status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. It is also the institution's policy to recruit, hire, promote, and provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and covered veterans who are otherwise qualified.Any qualification to be considered equivalent, in lieu of stated minimum, requires the prior approval of the Office of Human Resources.The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Some functions in this description may be specific to a particular unit of the National Academies and not applicable to other units.Job Family:ACCTEmployee Type:EmployeeScheduled Weekly Hours:37.5City/State:Washington, District of ColumbiaPDN-97ef54d0-161a-42a0-9068-c7d2a269aefe