LMI is seeking a skilled Data Scientist working partially remotely and partially from a client site in Crystal City, VA. This position will work with a team of designers, engineers, architects, and data scientists to query and structure data, apply algorithms to develop machine learning models, develop metrics and data visualizations, and deploy visualization products to web-based environments. The Data Scientist will have a strong background in technology, the ability to structure data for reporting, and a strategic view for how to present analytic results to customers. This position will be responsible for presenting and explaining complex results to business users.
LMI is a consultancy dedicated to powering a future-ready, high-performing government, drawing from expertise in digital and analytic solutions, logistics, and management advisory services. We deliver integrated capabilities that incorporate emerging technologies and are tailored to customers’ unique mission needs, backed by objective research and data analysis. Founded in 1961 to help the Department of Defense resolve complex logistics management challenges, LMI continues to enable growth and transformation, enhance operational readiness and resiliency, and ensure mission success for federal civilian and defense agencies.
Responsibilities may include:
- Assist in the design and build of relational databases for data storage or processing, considering implemetnation, data acquisition, and data recovery.
- Perform business and systems analysis, software changes, hardware and operating system support for AI/ML tools.
- Demonstrate the ability to frame and scale data problems to effectively analyze, visualize and find data solutions.
- Possess the ability to work with and manipulate common data formats, including comma-delimited, text files, and JSON.
- Transform data and analysis into informative data visualizations and/or interactive dashboards using open source and commercially available visualization and dashboard tools.
- Demonstrate the ability to derive insights and analytic narratives from data and visualizations for effective storytelling and clear communication in response to specific research questions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, solutions oriented environment focused on client deliverables, analysis and reporting.
- Develop intuitive dashboards and data visualization products using Tableau or other data visualization tools.
- Develop performance metrics, conduct statistical analyses, and apply decision models to address business process challenges.
- Query databases using SQL with structured data and perform statistical analysis.
- Gather and process raw data at scale by using statistical packages (e.g., R, SAS) and programming languages (e.g., Python, Java, and Scala).
- Support business decisions with ad hoc analysis.
- Think strategically about how to publish data visualizations and present analytic results.
- Develop a familiarity with machine learning algorithms and advanced statistical methods, such as regression, clustering, decision trees, exploratory data analysis methodology, simulation, scenario analysis, modeling, and neural networks.
- Use critical thinking skills to assess how machine learning capabilities can best be applied to complex business situations.
- Bachelor’s degree in data science, mathematics, statistics, economics, computer science, engineering, or other related business or quantitative discipline is required.
- 5-12 years of experience, performing related responsibilities and duties
- Experience working with tools including object-oriented programming (Python, Java), computational analysis tools (R, MATLAB), and associated data science libraries (scikit-learn).
- Experience creating meaningful data visualizations and/or interactive dashboards that communicate your findings and relate them back to how your insights create business impact using platforms such as Tableau, Qlik, Power BI, RShiny, plotly, and d3.js.
- Working knowledge of databases and SQL is desired. Preferred qualifications include linking analytic and data visualization products to database connections.
- Preferred experience with data science methods related to data architecture, data munging, data and feature engineering, and predictive analytics.
- Additional preferred qualifications include working with unstructured text and natural language processing.
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written
- This position requires an active DoD Secret clearance.
- Master’s degree or higher.
- Previous DOD experience.