Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
We are seeking a Data Engineer to be part of our DataOps team that includes solution architects, software engineers, data management specialists and data scientists. You will contribute to the design of scalable data solutions including the development of automated and batch ETL data pipelines to ingest and validate data to a modern data repository system. Job Responsibilities:
- Develop and manage high performing, flexible data pipelines and data processes.
- Work with domain experts to translate data requirements to processing specifications.
- Monitor performance and data quality using automated testing frameworks.
- Stay apprised of emerging methods, technologies and best practices related to data acquisition.
- Contribute to the design and optimization of SQL and NoSQL data repositories.
- Contribute to the development of data quality assurance plans and KPIs.
- Contribute to the management of risk and the design of system redundancies.
- A Bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science or related field.
- 2 or more years of relevant experience.
- Proficient with processing languages such as Java, Python, R or SQL.
- Proficient with relational databases, stored procedures and storage optimization techniques.
- Experience with business intelligence tools such as Power BI.
- Experience with developing data visualizations using open source libraries such as D3 and/or SaaS.
- Experience with developing APIs using languages such as C#.
- Familiarity with NIST 800-53 security controls.
- Familiarity with native cloud services such as AWS Lambda and AWS Glue.
- Familiarity working within a DevOps process driven environment and tools such as GitLab or Jenkins.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; be detail-oriented; and work well in a fast-paced team environment.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Protecting the health and safety of our employees and survey participants is a top priority for Westat. As a federal government contractor, Westat will require Westat staff, regardless of work location, to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon hire and to follow all safety protocols, subject to approved accommodations under applicable law.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.