TEGNA seeks a Sr. Data Engineer for the Technology organization with a focus on Premion.
Premion, a division of TEGNA, is a first-in-market over-the-top (OTT) advertising services platform. With over 100+ top-tier content providers and 700+ TEGNA Sales Reps, Premion is the one stop shop for OTT advertising for regional and local advertisers. Premion simplifies the OTT buying process by placing ads alongside premium long-form and live streaming content across branded networks and providers in just one easy transaction.
TEGNA is seeking an enthusiastic and experienced Senior Data Engineer to lead the team building cutting edge Ad Tech Data products in Delivery, Forecasting, Campaign Management and Reporting. Part of the growing Data & Product development team, the candidate should have experience defining the data strategy and roadmap, creating implementation goals and working with the internal and external teams to execute on the strategy. A successful candidate applies his/her expertise in state-of-the-art digital technologies, cloud data architecture, modern data warehouses and is relied on by top management to serve as a proxy for the market.
This person is a multi-tasker with attention to detail, who is comfortable being the go-to expert for Digital Ad-Tech. He/She is obsessive about customer needs and can create a collaborative work environment to address those needs; makes decisions based on data and involving all areas of the business as part of the product development lifecycle.
- Responsible for building and maintaining optimized and highly available data pipelines that facilitate deeper analysis and reporting.
- Design, implement and operate large-scale, high-volume, high-performance data structures for analytics and data science.
- Implement data ingestion routines both real time and batch using best practices in data modeling, ETL/ELT processes by leveraging cloud technologies and big data tools.
- Gather business and functional requirements and translate these requirements into robust, scalable, operable solutions with a flexible and adaptable data architecture.
- Collaborate with engineers to help adopt best practices in data system creation, data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation.
- Help continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service modeling and production support for customers.
- Daily Interactions with senior management to keep abreast of objectives.
- Serve as the domain expert for your area, with a deep understanding of the ad tech landscape, its table stakes, as well as how Premion can differentiate.
- Proactively identify, troubleshoot and resolve strategic issues that may impair the team’s ability to meet technical or strategic goals.
- 5+ years of experience designing, architecting & implementing data warehouse solutions.
- Has an affinity towards large datasets, an inherent ability to observe trends and draw actionable insights from the same.
- Hands on experience on Cloud data warehouses preferably on Snowflake/Google Big Query.
- Hands on experience with any of the Cloud technologies like GCP, AWS, Azure
- 5+ years on experience in writing complex SQL queries, ETL/ELT pipeline development and Reporting development.
- 2+ years of experience in programming languages preferably in Python.
- 2+ years of experience in reporting development preferably in ThoughtSpot/Tableau/Google Data Studio.
- Experience managing an agile design driven, user-centered data and development team.
- Proven ability to partner effectively across functions, with an exposure to complex organizations and the ability to gain shared vision on data product decisions and priority trade-offs.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with meticulous attention to detail. Ability to communicate technical issues simply to help drive fast decisions.
- Deep experience with identity, data privacy, audience targeting, cross-device graphs and related technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of digital advertising technology not just limited to ad serving, analytics, DSP, DMP, SSP, QA, and targeting.
- Has hands-on experience working with tools and systems that are instrumental at various stages of digital ad campaigns.
- Preferably has knowledge on implementing and testing third party tags across video platforms. Utilizing customer driven design and development and lean startup methodologies, have a fail fast mindset.
- A fast learning curve, with the ability to understand our customer’s needs on both a business and technical level.
- Travel (no more than 5%) to sales/client meetings to gather feedback on existing data products and new features to be included in the roadmap.
Premion, a division of TEGNA, is the one-stop shop OTT advertising platform for regional and local advertisers. Through our direct relationships with over 100+ top-tier content providers, Premion simplifies the OTT buying process by placing ads alongside premium long-form (full-episode) and live streaming content across more branded networks than any other platform – in just one easy transaction.
Premion’s advertising platform delivers advanced targeting and seamless integration across multiple networks. Advertisers are assured access to brand-safe and fraud-free, guaranteed inventory that reaches the fastest growing and highly engaged OTT audiences.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.