A Data Scientist at ExploreLearning helps millions of children learn math and science by participating in the creation, improvement, and analysis of our award-winning, game-based, adaptive education products. You will take a dynamic role in establishing the pedagogical AI underlying our games, allowing them to produce individualized experiences for learners. Our ideal candidate will have a background in learning analytics and machine learning, and a passion for helping children learn math and science.
- Use, maintain and develop our in-house AI system to sculpt the behavior of games so they properly adapt to individual learners while ensuring that activity-specific pedagogical requirements are achieved
- Evaluate user-generated logs to develop insights into the experiences of users
- Distill and present these findings, along with recommendations for improvement, to designers and other stakeholders
- Other duties related to game behavior (e.g., testing, investigation of customer-reported issues)
- Three years’ experience in educational data science OR master’s degree in learning analytics, educational data science, or similar field
- Proven quantitative and reasoning skills, including epistemology of hypothesis testing and standard mathematical modeling techniques for supervised and unsupervised machine learning
- Excellent Python skills
- Familiarity with standard LAK/EDM user- and knowledge- modeling frameworks
Preferred Job Requirements
- Familiarity with Bayesian Networks, Bayesian Knowledge Tracing, Q-matrices
- Experience with deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.
- Substantial background in mathematics and computer science
- A keen understanding of selection bias in educational data analysis
- Demonstrated ability to perform literature searches and present findings in the LAK/EDM research space
Why Work With Us?
In addition to competitive salaries and generous benefits, ExploreLearning offers an exciting and dynamic working environment in which creativity, teamwork and professional growth are valued and rewarded. Our award-winning online programs bring engaging and effective instructional strategies to K-12 classrooms around the world. Over the course of the last 20+ years, we’ve received numerous awards from some of the worlds most respected education organizations, and were recently named one of the Best Places to Work in Virginia.
Our office is based in historic downtown Charlottesville, Virginia, located approximately 100 miles southwest of Washington, D.C., and consistently rated one of America’s best places to live. The area offers a wide variety of business, cultural, historical, educational and sport-related attractions.
To learn more about our organization and the exciting work we do, visit us online.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
We are dedicated to fostering a culture that celebrates unique backgrounds, ideas, and experiences. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.