Data Engineer II
W2 Contract to Hire
Salary Range: $135,200 - $145,000 per year
Location: Dublin, CA - Onsite or Remote
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and model data engineering pipelines that support our reporting and analytic needs.
- Engineer efficient, adaptable, and scalable data pipelines for moving data from different sources into our Cloud Lakehouse
- Understand and analyze business requirements and translate them into well-architected solutions demonstrating the modern BI and analytics platform.
- Be a part of data modernization projects, providing overall design and technical direction. Act as the primary driver toward establishing guidelines and approaches.
- Develop and deploy performance optimization methodologies.
- Drive timely and proactive issue identification, escalation, and resolution.
- Collaborate effectively with Data Technology and Business Information teams to design and build optimized data flows from source to Data Visualization.
- Work with business SMEs to develop long-term strategies for sustainable and flexible reporting architecture for various groups within the retail organization
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- 8+ years of in-depth data engineering experience and execution of data pipelines, data ops, scripting, and SQL queries
- 5+ years of proven data modeling skills - must have demonstrable experience designing models for data warehousing and modern analytics use-cases (e.g., from operational data store to semantic models)
- 2-3 years experience in modern data architecture that supports advanced analytics, including Snowflake, Azure, etc. Experience with Snowflake and other Cloud Data Warehousing/Data Lake is preferred.
- Expert in engineering data pipelines using various data technologies - ETL/ELT, big data technologies (Hive, Spark) on large-scale data sets demonstrated through years of experience.
- Hands-on data warehouse design, development, and data modeling best practices for modern data architectures
- Highly proficient in at least one of these programming languages: Java, Python
- Experience with modern data modeling tools, data preparation tools
- Experience with adding data lineage, technical glossary from data pipelines to data catalog tools
- Highly proficient in Data analysis - analyzing SQL, Python scripts, ETL/ELT transformation scripts
- Highly skilled in data orchestration with experience in tools like Ctrl-M and Apache Airflow. Hands-on DevOps/Data Ops experience required
- Knowledge/working experience in reporting tools such as MicroStrategy and Power BI would be a plus.
- Self-driven individual with the ability to work independently or as part of a project team
- Experience working in an Agile Environment preferred, Familiarity with Retail domain preferred
- Experience with Streamsets, DBT preferred
- Strong communication skills are required to give and receive information, explain complex information in simple terms, and maintain a robust customer service approach to all users.
- Able to work independently, creatively problem-solve complex technical issues, and provide guidance and training/mentoring to other team members.
- Able to provide accurate estimates of timeframes necessary to complete potential projects and develop project implementation plans
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business Analytics, Business Management