We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world.
Want to learn more about our culture & opportunities? Check out
- This role has the potential to be virtual
- Leader of a group of data scientists to apply state of the art analytics and ETL to Commercial Insurance challenges. (note: we are growing quickly and will consider all sr. level candidates from newer managers to seasoned as well as sr. individual contributors)
- Leverages customer information such as macro and micro (transactional) behavioral data to influence strategic business decisions while using complex, innovative analytics, multi-variate models, machine learning and data mining technologies.
- Helps operationalize business decisions. Drives home a Measures of Success culture within Farmers with a focus on profitable growth initiatives.
- Deepens and expands the data science toolkits available to Farmers.
- Contributes to Farmers understanding of market intelligence.
- Includes business, strategy and IT implications in all initiatives.
- Manages other data scientists to both succeed as well as grow professionally.
- Opportunity for on-the-job exposure to grow both team and personal skills in all data science dimensions (data structures, hardware environments, complex modeling, strategy, and IT integrations of analytics)
Essential Job Functions
- Owns complex and often vague business challenges involving data science for Farmers. Scopes projects, defines measures of success, and a data science vision for project success. Obtaining business and IT buy-in and a roadmap for success given the talent and tools available. Executes on projects with a sense of urgency succeeding in hitting deliverable dates.
- Partners closely with IT, business, and Data Management teams in understanding and utilizing our data infrastructure for projects both improving ingestion of information as well as operationalization of results.
- Responsible for a deep knowledge of consumer analytics including closure models, retention models, agency economics, and lead optimization.
- Hands on ability to program, ETL, and advanced modeling methods to drive home projects and lead the team through examples of good technical skills. Python, GitHub, Machine Learning and multi-variate modeling, APIs, SQL, ETL software.
- Collaborates with business partners, executives and other leaders to understand/prioritize analytical needs, to deliver solutions and drive implementation. Advises and serves as an objective and transparent partner to drive fact-based decision making and a measures of success culture.
- Ability to present complex information clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences at all levels of a project. Skills include PowerPoint.
- Manages directing and indirectly a team of professionals that provide analytic capabilities for solutions. Ability to coach technical and non-technical skills including programming skills.
- Bachelors and Master’s Degree in Statistics, Economics, Data Science, Mathematics or related field preferred. On the job experience could substitute for Master’s degree.
- 7-10 years of Business planning, analytics or statistics with Farmers or equivalent external experience.
- Track record of success solving quantitative problems using data science for complex business questions with a focus on consumer behavior; implementing these solutions across multiple business teams (analytics, IT, business, etc.).
- Experience designing and implementing analytics and modeling processes across a team of data science analysts.
Special Skill Requirement
- Possesses strong technical aptitude in Python, GitHub, ETL software like SQL,
PowerPoint. Expert level skills in Excel. Proficient in English written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to build strong internal and external customer relationships.
- Work is accomplished without considerable direction. Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria in obtaining results. Exerts significant latitude in determining objectives of assignment. Takes calculated risks with consultation from the team.
- Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Constructs and may pursue alternative paths towards a solution. Exercises judgment in selecting method, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results consistent with broadly defined policies and practices. Problem/Task resolution timeframe: Inclusive of shorter timeframes, but typically six to twelve months or more to resolve.
- Uses policies and general objectives with little functional guidance. Rarely refers specific cases to manager unless clarification or interpretation of organization policies is involved.
- Does not make erroneous decisions or recommendations that would normally result in the inability to reach crucial organizational objectives and may have prolonged effect, as well as the expenditure of substantial resources.
- Frequently takes part in inter-organizational and outside customer / vendor contacts. Part of a team who represents the organization. Monitors activities and communicates information across the organization.
- Candidate qualifications may be reviewed against the requirements for the associated levels of this position's core function. Salary grade will be based on selected candidates' experience and skills.