Phoenix, LLC is seeking a Data Scientist to aid in optimization of hardware and analysis software for a variety of technologies. The initial primary focus of the work will be on nondestructive imaging techniques including fast and thermal neutron imaging and x-ray radiography. The ideal candidate would have experience working in neutron, x-ray, or other imaging modalities, as well as being capable of leading data analysis algorithm development for real-time and post-processing analysis tools, optimization of existing data analysis algorithm packages, and aiding in design of software architecture and hierarchy for computational software packages. A firm understanding of statistical analysis is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform statistical analysis on large datasets, communicate key findings, and guide algorithm changes based on results
- Develop software and algorithms for data processing based on physical models. This will include a combination of computational modeling, experimental design, data analysis, and software engineering as the algorithms are transitioned from first-principle models to software engineered solutions.
- Investigate and develop data processing algorithms to improve imaging performance such as: sub-pixel resolution, multi-exposure noise reduction, instrument response function deconvolution, Bayesian inference, etc.
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, reliable, and well-tested software
- Develop algorithms for automated anomaly recognition utilizing advanced techniques such as PCA, machine learning, etc.
- Work in a laboratory environment with imaging hardware, as well as processing digital and/or film images
- MS/Ph.D. degree in Physics, Medical Physics, Engineering, or Computer Science or equivalent technical experience
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience (including graduate school) working with relevant radiation detectors, imaging systems, and software packages
- Strong proficiency and experience in computational software development and languages including but not limited to C++, Python, and CUDA
- Experience with algorithm development from physics-based models
- General knowledge of laboratory etiquette and safety considerations. Specific hazards may include high voltage electricity and hazardous chemicals
- Proficiency in determining technical needs to move projects forward and developing test plans to extract useful information with a sensitivity to cost, reproducibility, and parameter covariance that fulfill the aforementioned needs
- Excellent verbal and written communication and computer skills are an absolute requirement.
- Proficiency in developing test-oriented software for unit and integration testing
- Experience with radiation transport modeling