Data Scientist I
The Data Scientist is responsible for design and development of analytical solutions of moderate level of complexity. The incumbent will lead the insights discoveries and business processes optimizations with data mining, statistical modeling and visualization techniques. The Data Scientist will work directly with the business and technical partners to develop, prototype and deploy analytical models. The incumbent in this position takes the ownership of the analytical model development and automation cycles from data source discovery to publishing and deployment of insights.
BlueCross BlueShield of WNY
At BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York, we believe in passion, excellence, and respect. Employees enjoy guaranteed career development opportunities, robust health care coverage, and work-life programs to help them thrive in every stage of their lives. We give back to Western New York through programs and volunteer work that have the greatest impact on the health of the community we serve. As the region's strongest community-based, not-for-profit health plan, BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York aims to inspire and help our members achieve their best health and wellness. Join us in building a healthier future in the place we call home.
Full Time Regular
Knowledge and Skills
- Extensive background in data mining and statistical analysis, such as regression, classification, forecasting, etc.
- Ability to understand various data structures and common methods in data transformation
- Experience with pattern recognition and predictive modeling techniques
- Experience with data visualization and reporting tools
- Experience with data mining in R, Alteryx, Python, etc.
- Understanding of the basics of SQL
- Ability to be responsive to the needs and requirements of the customers, and to provide effective ongoing servicing and support
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of the organization (technical and non-technical) and with outside contractors and vendors
- Analytical ability to identify patterns within quantitative data, draw conclusions, and recommend solutions and approaches
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exhibits integrity and honesty, a strong work ethic and personal motivation
- 1 (one) year of relevant, progressively responsible experience in statistical modeling OR 2-5 years in data analytics (includes advanced analytical course work), data preparation, programming required
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Applied Statistics, Data Science, or related area of study required
- Must be able to work in an office environment
- Manual Dexterity Req: Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to effectively use a computer with all its components for prolonged periods of time and for the majority of required tasks
- Mental effort: Adequate to perform essential functions of the job with the type of judgments and responsibilities as indicated in the job description
- Heat, light, air, space and working environment typically found in an office environment
- Weight: lift/carry/push/pull under 10 lbs.
- Physical Effort: Minimum; typical of most office work. Mostly sedentary work
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.