What's next in music happens on SoundCloud first. As the world's largest open audio platform, SoundCloud is powered by a connected community of creators, listeners and curators who share, discover and influence what's new, now and next in music and audio.
We are looking for an impact-driven Principal Data Scientist to solve and help others solve exciting problems across the Discovery product using Machine Learning and other Data Science tools. You will work closely with other data scientists and engineers to find opportunities, build, tune, instrument, and evaluate data science models.
Our Data Scientists work on a wide range of products and problems having direct impact on our millions of daily active users. We want people that come equipped with an open mind, creativity and a get-it-done attitude.
- Represent data scientists working on search and recommendations and align data science projects with organizational goals along with Engineering and Product
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Engineers and Analysts across SoundCloud to create positive customer impact together
- Coach and support other data scientists in the Discovery group on the different aspects of a data science project
- Selecting, developing, adapting and combining data science methodologies (statistics, machine learning, optimization, experimentation) to address complex problems
- Evaluating and validating correctness of data models and theoretical approaches. Assessing and validating the performance of models to meet business objectives
- Conceiving, planning, estimating and prioritizing data science projects
- Ensuring data quality and integrity
- Interpreting and analyzing data problems
- You are primarily coaching other data scientists, advising on best practices, but you also integrate into the teams to do hands on work if needed
- Identify common problems in data science projects and define a strategy to address these inefficiencies
- Improve the pace of delivery and experimentation by improving our approach to optimization
- Act as a facilitator of collective meetings; lead workshops and/or mentoring sessions
- Represent data science at SoundCloud outside of the company (e.g. on conferences, meetups etc.)
You are a Data Scientist with a curious analytical mindset, experience with software engineering, and a track record of shipping solutions at large scale. You enjoy working cross-functional with Engineers, Data Engineers, Product Managers and peer Data Scientists. You have:
- You have a Ph.D. or M.Sc. in a quantitative field (Statistics, Machine Learning, AI, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, etc.) or demonstrated industry experience productionizing machine learning algorithms
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working on data science projects in a full-time industry position (not academic)
- Good understanding of the theory behind Machine Learning methods, as well as knowledge of best practices in productionalizing them in a real-time systems
- A deep understanding of the lifecycle of a Data Science project, with experience in research, solution development, tuning and inspecting models, etc.
- Experienced in wrangling very large datasets by writing and maintaining data processing pipelines
- Good knowledge of Scala, Python or similar languages that are used to ship production models and systems
- You have solid analytical capabilities; you know not just how to solve problems with machine learning but also where and when
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Outstanding coaching and mentoring skills
- Outcome-obsessed, pragmatic scientist who is relentlessly focused on creating positive customer impact
Diversity at SoundCloud
SoundCloud is for everyone. Diversity and open expression are fundamental to our organization; they help us build a social platform and global community where anyone can create, discover, and share sounds. We acknowledge the challenges in our industry, and strive to develop an inclusive culture where everyone can contribute.
- We're international! We operate in the US, Berlin and London and all of our communication is in English.
- We have a flexible, friendly and inclusive office environment in Mitte
- Our environment is a learning one, with specific focus on development, including a professional development allowance and a possibility to use 20% of your time for a personal project.
- You can contribute to our Engineering Blog post.
- Not located in Berlin? No worries, we offer extensive relocation support including allowances, one way flights, temporary accommodation and, by partnering with Expath, on the ground support on arrival.
- Interested in a gym membership, photography course or book? We have a Creativity and wellness benefit!
- We offer free German courses at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels.