Root is a fast-growing tech startup and we're on a mission to build the future of insurance.
We are looking for a skilled individual to own Root's platform data processing, analysis & reporting function. This role involves meticulously ensuring that data generated by the Root platform is correct and complete to guarantee accurate reporting to Root's clients and other stakeholders. As part of the broader mission, you will continuously look for ways to improve this function, execute it more efficiently, introduce automation and delight Root's clients.
This full-time role is based at our De Waterkant office in Cape Town, but will be fully-remote during COVID-19.
What you'll do:
In this role, you will be in the team that interface with all Root's platform data and will work on the following:
- Platform data exports & processing:
- Generate Root Platform data exports.
- Data validation and preparation.
- Identify and resolve data and export issues.
- Risk identification & problem-solving:
- Build risk-based rules to flag and investigate suspicious activity.
- Identify and monitor weaknesses and risks.
- Communicate transparently with stakeholders.
- Monitoring & reconciliations:
- Perform daily and monthly reconciliations, including premium collections, refunds and claims payouts.
- Track and monitor all 3rd party Root Platform integrations.
- Build out an accurate reporting framework.
- Manage and execute external data reporting for Root's clients.
- Manage and execute internal data reporting.
We're looking for someone with:
- 1+ years of relevant work experience - preferably from a Data or Risk analysis background.
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Economics or Mathematics.
- Solid technical experience with SQL and Excel.
- Experience building reports and dashboards for data presentation.
- Experience with data processing and analysis.
- Highly detail-oriented and meticulous with numbers.
- Comfortable working with large datasets.
- Understanding of basic financial processes.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
Bonus points/nice to have:
- An interest in the insurance industry.
- Self-starter who is passionate about working for a fast-paced start-up.
The Root Team and how we enable success:
Our team is made up of smart, passionate, and kind individuals working together to build a world-class company. We take the time to develop personal relationships with each other. Over and above daily team lunches, we do frequent team outings and ad-hoc adventures (when global pandemics permit).
We create and enable an environment for people to do their best work. To support this, we focus on a culture of autonomy, transparency and trust. As a startup, we care a lot about innovation and believe in an iterative way of working to drive innovation forward. We encourage each other and foster a working culture of sharing early versions of your work and getting quick feedback.
You can read more about Root here, and our culture here.
Why join us?
We have ambitious goals. Our mission is to power innovators in insurance, globally, and we're well on our way there. You'll join at a very exciting part of the journey, and your contribution over the next few years will directly and visibly impact Root's global success.
Our team is incredibly friendly and collaborative. If you care about solving challenging problems with people you enjoy being around, this is the place for you.
Root has an inclusive culture. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply and introduce their skill set to us. Open positions at Root are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you're welcome to request feedback.