Location: London office, with an optional hybrid model, but expected to be in the office at least three days a week
Benefits: Pension, 25 days Annual Leave plus Christmas-New Year, staff learning fund, enhanced parental benefits package
Reports to: Data Research Manager
Contract: 12-month fixed contract
WHY THIS ROLE IS IMPORTANT – AND WHY YOU’LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE DOING IT
At HOPE not hate, our mission is to work tirelessly to expose and oppose far-right extremism. Our work focuses on the organised far right, the communities who are susceptible to them and the issues and policies which give rise to them. This is an opportunity to join HOPE not hate at an exciting time as we expand our work in quantitative research.
HOPE not hate is looking for a Data Analyst to join our research team.
You will work on a new project looking at the role of social media networks in the spread of far-right narratives using quantitative methods. The role will work alongside our researchers who have a deep understanding of the workings of the far right in the UK and you will add competency on the use of network analysis, topic modelling and other data analysis methods as well as visualisation techniques.
The role is the first one of its kind in the organisation and you will suit someone who enjoys working in a multidisciplinary team and has a willingness to explore new techniques and ability to find solutions to complex problems. You will have the opportunity to collaborate across the team to make our research more impactful and explore new ways of applying your skill to disrupt the far right.
The team you will be joining aims to expose and undermine the far right while also working to better understand the drivers of prejudice and engagement with it. We publish multiple reports and articles per year on far-right activism and ideology based on both open and closed source information. Our team's output helps inform HOPE not hate’s community engagement by providing expertise to local communities and helps guide our work in schools where we teach young people to recognise and challenge prejudice and hate.
What You’ll Be Doing In This Role
- Working as a data analyst on a 12-month project focused on understanding the spread of far-right narratives on social media platforms using network analysis as well as other methods.
- Giving input and contributing to other research projects within the team and across the organisation.
- Finding ways to apply your skill set to create more impactful research.
- Contributing and developing our monitoring of far-right narratives online using social media data and OSINT methods.
WHAT WE THINK YOU’LL NEED TO BE ABLE TO DO THE JOB
- Experience in the field of data science and network analysis or related fields and experience of social media analysis.
- Have broad technical knowledge. The role requires someone who is comfortable with common database management systems, at least intermediate knowledge of Python and experience of using modern data visualisation techniques.
- A pragmatic attitude. Your role is new to the organisation and you have broad enough knowledge to be able to work relatively independently.
- A passion for HOPE not hate’s cause and interest in opposing the far right.
WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED TO KNOW?
We are looking for someone with the emotional resilience to work in a field that involves challenging content, good political judgement and awareness and the ability to work under pressure and reduced timescales.
We believe that our work will be at its best if it is created by people with a range of backgrounds and experiences. We are keen to interview people who will add diversity to our team. We are an antifascist organisation, which strives to be an effective ally in the wider fight against racism and inequity. Adjustments for the application and interview process can be accommodated if necessary.