The role applies knowledge of chemistry and machine learning data science methods to solve challenging problems across multiple functions at Evonik, but with a focus on chemistry-related domains.
The ideal candidate should have the passion to use chemical data coupled with strong know how based on the fundamental sciences of chemistry, physics, and mathematics as well as advanced machine learning techniques to build AI models specific to the specialty chemical industries.
- Data expert via developing and implementing with a focus on Bayesian optimization, mathematical optimization, statistics and machine learning capabilities to develop solutions with broad range of variety, but especially when chemistry, physics, and cheminformatics knowhow might be critical.
- Work directly with data (either available data or creating sourcing/suggestion of data source) to derive actionable insights
- Analyze as-is process, develop to-be process, and identify gaps which must be addressed to reach the desired end state into a digital product.
- Act as technical and scientific resource for software development colleagues in all phases of the development and implementation process
- Assess diverse confidential datasets (focused on numeric data but including other data types such as text, and others where relevant) for correlative, clustering, predictive, etc. outcomes.
- Collaborate continuously with subject matter experts from R&D and businesses to utilize good business understanding and enable business to understand and use your results
- Create model comparison benchmarks and model selection processes
- Support the engineers in model optimization and productization to bring develop models into production
- Documentation which clearly explains how algorithms have been implemented, verified and validated.
- For prototyping, front and back-end requirements:
o Understanding of API and interfaces to sub-systems
- PhD in fundamental sciences in particular in Chemistry, Physics, and
Mathematics with a strong quantitative focus and its allied disciplines
- Required Skills: Programming skills (Python), Mathematics (Linear Algebra,
Calculus, etc); data Science skills (Bayesian optimization, Gaussian process, etc.)
- Well experienced in machine learning as well as combining and transforming
data from heterogeneous sources.
- Passion for programming, data visualization, and machine learning. Great
attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze existing solutions in python, Java, and other relevant
programming languages and adapt these solutions to where applicable a
containerized plugin architecture for incorporation into a central tool repository
- Consultancy mindset while displaying a high degree of flexibility and ability to
learn new skills quickly
- Strong interest in researching and implementing new ML related technologies in
the core domain of Chemistry and Physics
- Proven track record of completing multiple data science projects end-to-end;
from idea generation, objectives formulation, to implementation