Senior Data Scientist
As a Barclays Senior Data Scientist this is an exciting opportunity where you will be responsible to handle a team of highly skilled and highly motivated Data Scientists who provide support to the Data Analytics function within GFCO. You will focus on driving the strategy for the team as well as BAU performance, and work with internal technology teams and stakeholders to meet the time critical demands of a busy Data Analytics function.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality, and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.Working Flexibly
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognizes and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month, or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally can request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances. Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.What will you be doing?
What We’re Looking For
- Focusing on a strategic vision for the Data Science function within Data Analytics
- Ensuring a meaningful data forensics process is provided to stakeholders across Data Analytics on key initiatives
- Empowering and driving the team to create, build and maintain analytical tools through programming
- Experimenting and identifying with various analytical methods echniques
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Allowing and supporting the team to respond to ad-hoc requests and communicate the results
Skills That Will Help You In The Role
- Substantial experience and understanding in designing and delivering data science solutions in a complex commercial environment
- Proven understanding in enterprise software development and machine learning model deployment
- Excellent expertise in big data technologies (spark/dask) and databases (SQL, NoSQL)
- Significant charismatic communicator who inspires followership and works effectively with a diverse set of stakeholders
Where will you be working?
- Proven prior experience handling others, as either a line or project manager
- Prior experience and understanding working in banking or financial services
- The Ability to understand, engage and clearly articulate benefits of the analytical solution, including visuals (matplotlib/seaborn plotly/D3/tableau)
- Highly creative, with an uncanny ability to take ambiguous briefs and transform them into concrete deliverables
Our new state-of-the-art Campus, right in the heart of Glasgow is a hub of creative collaboration. A place where everyone can bring their true selves to work and reach their full potential. Home to 5,000 of our colleagues, our Tradeston campus will support the community in more ways than one - by creating thousands of new career opportunities and celebrating local artists. A short walk from Central Station on the south of the Clyde, it will be a key location for the Barclays business that will deepen our ties with the city and its communities.