The Data Engineer on the Startup Development Team will be the designer and architect for developing a data system that can be scaled to support the Startup Team within Global Engineering Services. The Global Engineering Services organization is responsible for delivering capacity to the Amazon Fulfillment network, including planning, configuration management, design, construction, startup, procurement, launch, and operations engineering teams.
The DE improves business processes by leveraging strong data extraction skills to engineer reporting mechanisms. The individual must have the ability to communicate effectively across multiple technical and non-technical teams, as well as across other geographies. Successful members of this team collaborate effectively to solve problems, implement new solutions, and deliver successfully against high standards.
The successful candidate will have strong data mining and modeling skills and is comfortable facilitating ideation and working from concept through to execution. This role will also build tools and support structures needed to analyze data. As a Data engineer in this team, you will contribute to developing the data architecture components that scales for the ever-evolving data needs. You will solve big data warehousing problems on a massive scale. You will apply cloud-based AWS services to solve challenging problems around: big data processing, data warehouse design, and enabling self-service.
You will work closely with the software developers within the Startup Team, the BI Team and other tech teams withing Global Engineering Services on many non-standard and unique business problems and use creative problem solving to deliver actionable output. The role of the data engineer in Amazon requires excellent technical skills in order to develop systems and tools to process data as well as, but not limited to, the ability to analyze data.
A qualified candidate must have demonstrated ability to manage medium to large-scale data modeling projects, identify requirements and tools, build data warehousing solution and tools that are explainable and scalable. In addition to the technical skills, possess strong written and verbal communication skills, strong focus on internal customers and professional demeanor and high intellectual curiosity with ability to learn new concepts/frameworks and technology rapidly as changes arise.
Key job responsibilities
- Manipulating/mining data from database tables (Redshift, Oracle, Data Warehouse)
- Create automated metrics using complex databases
- Providing analytical network support to improve quality and standard work results
- Foster culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Create insightful dashboards for stakeholders
A day in the life
Includes various opportunities/responsibilities such as:
- Participating in large scale new development projects with the chance to work on large data sets
- Engaging in continuous learning to advance both yourself and individual skills but also grow the teams collective knowledge
- Partnering with development team through various methods including daily sprint calls to discuss complex issues and long term tool advancement strategy
- Interacting directly with customers/stakeholders of products to understand successes and opportunities
About the team
The Startup Development Team is a collaborative, diverse, and skilled group of engineers who support the advancement of the Global Engineering Services Organization by creating tools that push the team into the future towards automation.
This team is passionate about its customers and invests the time in creating, supporting and advancing tools that elevate their ability to execute their project completion. The team has rapidly grown over the past two years - taking on large scale initiatives and cutting edge technical projects as well as expanding tools to new regions, business units etc.
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer in a company with large, complex data sources
- Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets
- Experience working with AWS big data technologies (EMR, Redshift, S3, Glue, Kinesis and Lambda for serverless ETL)
- Demonstrated strength in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
- Experience using business intelligence reporting tools (Quicksight, Power BI, Tableau, Cognos, etc.)
- Proven success in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe data modeling decisions and data engineering strategy
- Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers for best practices on data engineering
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development life cycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Mindset and problem solving skills to towards continuous improvement and have an edge to continuously research on latest technologies
- Passion for building great notification experiences which directly impacts our customers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.