Who we are
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every day. The special object you've been searching for, or a new and unexpected interest you never thought you'd have: the more you look, the more you'll find. And at Catawiki, there's always more to the story. Every day sellers submit thousands of objects to sell on Catawiki. Our 240+ in-house experts review and select only the best to auction.
Our mission is to connect passionate enthusiasts with the objects that tell their stories. As Europe's fastest growing online auction platform, we help over 10 million people discover new treasures every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent!
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 and have since grown to over 750 Catawikians, working across 7 international offices, while maintaining our start-up mentality every step of the way. In December 2020 we received a new €150m investment round led by Permira and are excited to be growing our team and business further across the world.
Our Data Story
With thousands of active lots every day, hundreds of thousands of daily bids, millions of users, and billions of events, the Catawiki platform generates vast amounts of data every day. All this data is being collected and stored, and used extensively by our team of 15 analysts and data scientists that want to build a better company by using data in a smart way. At Catawiki, we believe in using data for making decisions, and the Data Science & Analytics team plays an important role in that.
What you'll do
We're looking for a Senior Data Scientist/Analyst that can help us make sense of all our data, and find actionable insights, patterns and relations by combining data from multiple sources and working closely together with your colleagues in other departments. This means:
- Work with cross functional teams to find trends and opportunities in the data and make recommendations for improvements to the business strategy
- Be on top of all of Catawiki's data, which you will use to create a better understanding of our users and of the effectiveness of what we do in every department
- Find key metrics that drive the performance of departments and products, and make these accessible to stakeholders through dashboards and reports.
- You will own Analytics for an entire vertical or department of Catawiki, developing a strong relationship with your stakeholders, and connecting with other verticals/departments when needed.
- You will be part of the Data team, and help us enrich and maintain our data warehouse as well as develop data accessibility across the entire company.
- You will share your expertise with the rest of the Data team, mentoring other team members to turn data into insights and proactively contributing to introducing new techniques and ways of working within the team.
Who you are
- An experienced Data Scientist / Business Analyst with a strong quantitative background and 5+ years of relevant experience (ideally in an online company).
- Proven ability to extract meaning from very big datasets with little engineering support: you're a SQL Ninja and you are fluent in either Python or R.
- You understand the benefits of and know how to deliver scalable and self-explanatory data products (code, dashboards…). You are able to mentor other team members on this, and to drive change in the team's way of working.
- Experience with A/B experimentation and Web tracking/analytics are a plus.
- With examples from your own experience, you can demonstrate a strong focus on deriving actionable business insights from your analyses.
- Strong communication skills and being able to work at a fast pace with business owners, engineers and management.
- Proven stakeholder management experience: you are comfortable with managing multiple's stakeholders expectations both in terms of timing and outcome. You know why, when and how to challenge them in an effective manner. Prioritisation is always on your mind. You do this not only for your own work, but also as much as possible for any project or initiative you are involved in.
- An entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to get things done, also if that requires actions outside your own area or comfort zone.
Where you'll be
This role is based in Amsterdam but we can offer remote work from the following countries: France, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain and The U.K. We also offer an excellent relocation package for people living outside of the Netherlands.
What we offer you
This is your chance to become part of a fast but sustainable growing tech company! You will have an exciting role in a young, fast-growing, dynamic & international organisation. You'll be part of an enthusiastic, highly motivated team of 700+ international Catawikians; you'll have big responsibilities and can really create something. Additionally you can expect:
- An attractive Stock Options package
- Working with a top notch team acting on a champions league level in a super complex dynamic environment; you will learn a lot!
- A diverse and international team with over 50 different nationalities.
- A great office located in the heart of Amsterdam with an easy-going atmosphere.
- Our entrepreneurial environment encourages everyone to take initiative and experiment with new ideas. You'll actively contribute to the growth of the Catawiki platform.
- Tailor-made trainings to facilitate your personal and professional growth
- The fun part! Our Activity Committee plans everything from 'CataFooty' to International Food Festivals, Friday Drinks, Board Game Nights, Pub Quizzes and Boot Camps!
And there's more! Paid holidays, holiday allowance and a fantastic pension plan paid for by Catawiki.
Catawiki is committed to building a diverse company and diverse teams. That includes everyone, no matter your age, ability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. We welcome applications from underserved and underrepresented communities. If you've got a story to tell, come and join us.
Working and hiring remotely
When it is safe to do so, Catawiki will implement a hybrid work policy where employees in the Netherlands will work from the office 1-2 times per week and from home for the rest.
Most of our Sales and Expert positions for local markets are 100% remote, which means that you will be working from home in the country you are based.