P5 – Lead Data Engineer/Architect
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
VMware, the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, delivers customer-proven solutions that accelerate IT by reducing complexity and enabling more flexible, agile service delivery.
A socially responsible company with a vision to imagine, design, and create a better world who is also recognized as top places to work for in Silicon Valley
We are looking for talented Lead Data Engineers/Architects who are excited about redefining, reimagining, and contributing towards building a modern data infrastructure. We believe data engineering is about harnessing the power of data, built on solid foundation of software engineering, data modeling, devops skills & more. We recognize that you may have varied mix of skills, experiences & strengths, be it, big data, cloud data warehouse, stream processing or data modeling. We want to talk to you.
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
As a Lead Data Engineer, you will provide technical & architectural leadership, lead data engineering initiatives, and build end-to-end analytical solutions that are highly scalable, performant, secure, and resilient. You rely on sound judgement, critical thinking, and creativity to deliver customer focused data solutions that create meaningful business impact. You are an experienced data practitioner with expertise in data frameworks design, various solution patterns of data ingestion, processing, and curation. You understand criticality of data quality, security & governance practices and are adept at it. You design solutions with strategic and long-term focus on code quality, reliability, reusability, maintainability and dataops. You are experienced in building efficient and scalable data services.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Gather business and functional requirements and translate these requirements into robust, scalable, operable solutions with a flexible and adaptable data architecture.
- Design, implement and operate large-scale, high-volume, high-performance data frameworks, structures for analytics and data science.
- Creatively solve problems with your expertise in various technologies to design & innovate solutions.
- Define, design & maintain data management/governance frameworks, standards, reference architectures, data flows, metadata registry.
- Contribute towards platform engineering, tooling & standards to improve the productivity and quality of data solutions.
- Perform data analysis/wrangling using Python, complex SQLs, and other tools.
- Develop data services/API’s using Java-Springboot, Python-Flask, as needed
- Building data visualizations & reports using Tableau, SAP BOBJ and other open-source technologies.
- Perform root cause analysis of issues that hinder the data quality. Work with data source owner to increase quality and accuracy of the source data.
- Build scalable data pipelines for both real time and batch using best practices in data modeling, ETL/ELT processes utilizing various technologies such as Spark, Kafka, Presto, SAP HANA, Airflow, Informatica.
- Understand and influence best practices for observability & dataops.
- Help continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service modeling and production support for customers.
- Collaborate with engineers to drive best practices in code quality & reusability, data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
You will be joining the Data engineering team, comprised of 90+ engineers spread throughout VMware offices including Palo Alto, CA, Austin, TX, India, and Costa Rica. This Senior Data Engineer role will report to the Senior Manager, responsible for CXS & PCS domains.
The team culture is one based on building trust, on-going development through coaching, and giving back to the community through service learning. We believe in creating a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace and building compassionate relationships with the people we work with.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-10-04
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.