Something about us...
data.ai is the mobile standard and the trusted source for the digital economy. Our vision is to be the first Unified Data AI company that combines consumer and market data to provide insights powered by artificial intelligence. We passionately serve enterprise clients to create winning digital experiences for their customers.
We care deeply about our high performance culture and operate as a global team. We have set excellence as our standard, hold each other accountable, continuously push innovation and win with style.
We are a remote-first company as we trust our people to get it done from the location that works for them.
What can you tell your friends when they ask you what you do?
As a Senior Big Data Engineer, I'm a key contributor to the design, implementation and ongoing governance of data.ai's data products. I'm responsible for expanding and optimizing our large-scale data ingestion flows and our data processing pipelines to create transparency and consistency across the entire Data Science system architecture. I work closely with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Data Analysts and other Big Data and Business Intelligence Engineers to develop and sustain the governance of our data products, including conceiving and building large-scale data integration solutions. I'm passionate about what I do and excited to do it in the context of an entrepreneurial start-up with a phenomenal team.
You will be responsible for and take pride in….
- As a Senior Big Data Engineer, you will be an integral part of a team responsible for large-scale data processing pipelines across our Intelligence Product. You will also help to expand our product governance processes and support the Data Science team in building new product features. This includes:
- Ability to work with large, complex data sets that meet function and non-functional business requirements
- Working as engineer in building the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL, Apache Spark, AWS S3, Databricks, Snowflake
- Ability to design and optimize queries, scripts and data tools to provide increased visibility into the Data Science system architecture
- The ability to communicate well and clearly with teams and team members across multiple time zones and countries.
- Designing, building, and supporting large scale, fault-tolerant distributed systems that support data.ai's data science and analytics teams
You should recognize yourself in the following...
- You should be a strong tech lead with proven experience in distributed systems, and big data analysis.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science / Engineering or equivalent experience
- At least 2-3 years in software development, with multiple examples of delivering innovative product ideas
- Deep understanding of hardware and computer organization, Linux operating system, computer network and compilers etc.
- Solid skills of big data related data structures and algorithms
- Proficient in data modeling and data warehouse design
- Experience in designing architecture is a big plus
- Proficient programming experience in SQL
- Proficient programming experience in at least one mainstream language, like Python, Scala or Java
- Experienced in data processing such as ETL
- Flexible mindset and the ability to prototype and change direction rapidly as research evolves
- Strong problem solving, analytical and troubleshooting skills
- A seasoned engineer with big data ecosystem (Computation: Mapreduce, Spark/Flink, Presto/Hive/Redshift/Snowflake etc.; Storage: Postgresql, Elasticsearch, HDFS, Kafka etc.), experience AWS/Google Cloud/Microsoft Azure is a big plus
- An excellent communicator with a knack for concisely explaining problems and solutions to multiple stakeholders, e.g. product managers, senior management, etc.
- A strong drive to continue learning and developing
- Independently making decisions quickly based on your expertise
- Demonstrated ability to produce results as part of a highly distributed team that crosses cultural and country boundaries
- Energy and creativity are key characteristics that describe you and the projects you are involved in. You make it happen. Boom!
Some of the total rewards we offer…
- Holistic wellbeing for all employees including a Wellbeing allowance and a Wellness Benefits bundle
- A $1,000 (country equivalent) WFH allowance
- Internet allowance for stable internet connection
- Paid leave, so long as you promise to come back!
- 90 Day Passport program - work from anywhere in the world for 90 days / year.
- Got Lunch? We allow $15 per week expensed (country equivalent) for lunch
- Unlimited access to online learning platform Udemy to help you develop your skills.
- Virtual initiatives and events to keep you connected with your colleagues.
- Generous Employee Referral Bonus program. Earn up to $10,000 a referred hire.
- And much more
Ask your recruiter for a full list of total rewards and benefits specific to your region!
Yes, I want this job!