The Data Scientist will support our Operations, Product, Sales, HR, Finance, Legal and Marketing teams with insights gained from analyzing company data. The ideal candidate is adept at using large data sets to find opportunities for product and process optimization and using models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. This role must have strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms and creating/running simulations. This position must have a proven ability to drive business results with their data-based insights. This candidate must be comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams. This position will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes.
Reports to (Supervisor/Manager):
Director, Enterprise Data Management
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions.
- Analyzes data from company databases to drive optimization and improvement of product development, marketing techniques and business strategies.
- Assesses the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Develops custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets.
- Uses predictive modeling to increase and optimize customer experiences, revenue generation, ad targeting and other business outcomes.
- Develops company A/B testing framework and test model quality.
- Coordinates with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes.
- Develops processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
- Build Relationships: Establishes and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speaks, listens and writes in a clear and thorough manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Foster Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influences others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make Decisions: Assesses situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Sets priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Plan: Determines strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assesses problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of IT and business work experience with a broad range of exposure to various technical environments and business segments.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on product development.
- Experience using statistical computer languages to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Experience working with and creating data architectures.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- 5-7 years of experience manipulating data sets and building statistical models.
- There are no current driving requirements for this position. This is subject to change.
- This job requires 25% or less domestic travel.
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Work computer, including word-processing, database and spreadsheet programs.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- This job requires 100% working in front of a computer.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interviews and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.