Senior Data Scientist
Are you interested in working for a company as ubiquitous to Canadians as Interac and helping provide insights on and improve products used billions of times a year? Do you like the idea of tuning spark jobs and SQL queries that run on hundreds of terabytes of data?
We're looking to hire a Senior Data Scientist for the Advanced Analytics team at Interac. On a day-to-day basis, you would be working closely with the Analytics Engineering, Analytics Architecture team. You'd also be regularly meeting with internal clients from across the organization to help them with their analytical needs. This role is best filled by a seasoned data scientist or advanced analytics analyst with substantial experience in using ML algorithms as well as other tools to create an analytical product, whether that’s a presentation, data set or tool.
The team's responsibilities include…
- Work with end-users to build analytical use cases
- Document and produce analytics proposals
- Create Data Assets
- New Data Sets
- Working with the Analytics Architecture and Analytics Engineering teams to turn research and proof of concepts into reproducible jobs that can be handed off to the Data Engineering team
You’re great at…
- Understanding end-user needs and translating them into analytics asks
- Deriving and assessing various ways to addressing a problem
- Solve problems in a methodical, calculated manner
- Working independently to bring projects from start to completion
- Exploring data sets and discovering new opportunities and potential data assets
- Providing guidance, peer coaching, mentoring to other members of the team
Who are you?
- 3+ years hands on data and analytic experience
- Proficient in using Python for data science, with experience using: pandas, numpy, matplotlib
- Experience with applied statistics and quantitative modelling (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when needed)
- Comfortable writing complex SQL queries to extract and integrate data from multiple database sources
- Big Data Technologies: Hadoop, HDFS, Hive, Spark
- Experience doing ETL and working within big data environments preferred
- Self-motivated and have excellent time management skills
How we work
We know that exceptional people have great ideas and are passionate about their work. Our culture encourages excellence and actively rewards contributions with:
Connection: You’re surrounded by talented people every day who are driven by their passion of a common goal.
Core Values: They define us. Living them helps us be the best at what we do.
Compensation & Benefits: Pay is driven by individual and corporate performance and we provide a multitude of benefits and perks.
Education: To ensure you are the best at what you do we invest in you.
Interac is Canada’s leading payments brand and is chosen an average of 17 million times daily to pay and exchange money. Together, Interac Association and Acxsys Corporation operate an economical, world-class debit payments system with broad-based acceptance, 24/7/365 reliability, security, and efficiency. For more than 30 years, Interac has facilitated secure financial transactions through the development of innovative and convenient digital debit and money transfer solutions. Interac products and services securely connect people to their money through Interac Cash, Interac Debit, Interac Flash, Interac Online, Interac e-Transfer and Interac e-Transfer bulk disbursement for commercial payments. Interac is a leader in the prevention and detection of fraud with one of the lowest rates of fraud globally. Visit interac.ca and follow us @interac for more information.
Interac believes in providing an inclusive workplace where all individuals have the opportunity to succeed. We are committed to doing so by providing accessible employment practices. Contact a member of the Human Resources department if you need accommodation at any point in the application process or want more information about our Accessibility Policy, which is also available online here.