There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
This is a remote position; the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.
About the Team and the role:
- Connected Operations is a part of the larger Customer Experience organization and are at the fore front of the transition to a digital eco system where our interactions with our customers and our partners (dealers) now have more digital footprints.
- Our segment is responsible to ensure the transactional performance of in-vehicle product services and analysis of real time data collected from the vehicles in rapport with research and development, quality control and manufacturing to ensure customer safety and ownership experience.
- We are a seeking a Data Engineer to lead the effort to develop “first in line” insights and provide technical expertise to develop analytics driven solutions to help GM achieve their business goal.
- Work with a wide variety of data sources including Oracle, Teradata, Greenplum, Hadoop, and Cassandra databases to extract and integrate information to help build key performance indicators.
Unix skills/ duties:
- Develop, Test and implement software solutions that support the Business
- Liaison with GM IT and Business to fulfill business requirements
- Diagnose, debug, and solve issues related to Deployed applications in the servers.
- Work with teams from multiple groups to meet project breakthroughs
- Enhance, Support, Performance tuning, improvement, balancing, automation
- Ensure security, performance, and high availability of all the Servers
- Install required packages for business
- Proactively engages in the remediation of such as server issues, Application issues etc
- Coach and Mentor business team if needed for application or Server access
- Implement machine learning algorithms to gain better understanding of business analytics, train models to act as better predictors of the conversational intents, volumetric trends towards specific lines of business and overall issue understanding and resolution with a holistic integration strategy for unity.
- Create, maintain, and update tools, dashboards, databases or systems using Shell scripting, Cognos, tableau, Power BI, Spreadsheet, Hadoop, Hue, Kafka, Grafana, python, R for output.
- Capture requirements with multiple business partners across projects in the digital ecosystem
- Maintain knowledge management article with model documents, templates, detailed process flow diagram, value stream mapping diagram, swim lane diagrams, playbook and other reusable knowledge assets.
- Create business cases where machine learning models would be used and Perform a Proof of concept on newer tools and technologies to drive innovation
- Fix production issues by providing tactical and innovative solutions and working closely with IT teams in resolving identified systemic issues affecting system performance.
- Administer timely release of software updates, product tuning cycles, and infrastructure upgrades to ensure deadlines, standards, and performance targets are met.
- Communicate with leadership to determine the service level agreement for performance of information technology and our back office.
- Identify and lead adaption of new and innovative technological advances taking place rapidly in the field to remain competitive.
- Gap analysis in compliance with operational excellence program (lean six sigma principals) of the system to provide insights and improving system performance.
- Big data performance tuning for data ingestion and data retrieval.
Additional Job Description
- 7+ years of experience in using SQL across Postgres databases, Hadoop/Hive & Oracle systems.
- Text Parsing, Analytic functions are critical
- 3+ years of experience with implementing machine learning models (Create data sets , train models, explain correlations between dependent and independent variables)
- Business intelligence and data analysis software — IBM Cognos Impromptu; Tableau, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition
- Expert in ETL systems – Via Batch SQL, Data Stage (awareness)
- Data base management system software — Apache Hadoop; Oracle PL/SQL; Teradata Database, Apache Cassandra, Apache Hive, NoSQL
- Object/component-oriented development software — Python; Java
- Operating system software — Bash, UNIX, Shell script
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software —Microsoft Project; Microsoft SharePoint.
- Development environment software —; Eclipse IDE; Microsoft Visual Studio
- Analytical or scientific software — Minitab
- Customer relationship management CRM software
- Understand process flows, Natural Language Processing, architectural tenets of clouds ecosystems
- Knowledge of Kafka streaming systems, Microservices architecture
- Ability to form insights out of ambiguous, structured, unstructured and semi structured data
- Bachelor degree, or equivalent experience.
- Prefer Master in Computer science
Please only apply if you DO NOT need sponsorship to work in the Unites States now or in the future. We are unable to consider candidates who require sponsorship.
Compensation: The median level of salary compensation for this role is $109,283.00
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.