Are you looking for more than a job? At World Vision Canada we offer challenging careers that change the lives of children all over the world and it will change yours too. Come and be part of a team of 400 Canadians with a vision for the world: Life in all its fullness for every child.
You will experience Christian faith in action helping to make real and lasting change in the lives of the world’s most vulnerable children. Join the World Vision Canada team and be part of a powerful and effective force for good:
For Children. For Change. For Life.
Position: Data Scientist, Analytics & Insights
Reports to: Manager, Analytics & Insights
Position Term: Full time permanent
Deadline: Until filled
The Data Scientist, Analytics & Insights is responsible for discovering insights and identifying opportunities to optimize experiences and help guide and inform key business decisions using statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques. In addition to advanced analytic skills, this role is also proficient at integrating and preparing large, varied data-sets, architect of specialized database and computing environments, and communicating results.
This role would act as a general consultant to the business on analytics initiatives, and designs and implements end-to-end solutions through the use of well-established and leading edge techniques; the Data Scientist will determine the appropriate solution to address the business problem at hand, extract and manipulate the data from various sources, execute and deploy the solution collaborating with other areas of the organization as needed, and communicate results back to the business in a clear and timely manner.
This role supports the core mandate of the Data Science & Advanced Analytics department, which is to create lasting Customer-Focused Analytics Solutions covering all data domains (customer, financial, operations, impact, third party), and enable Insights-led Decision Making across the organization.
Duties and responsibilities
- Consults with business partners and identifies appropriate research approach/design to address the business problem at hand.
- Provides in-depth customer analysis and insight, helping to guide and inform decisions to optimize marketing initiatives, research customer personas, segments, and journeys, and highlighting trends as necessary.
- Mines internal and external data to develop research results that emphasizes actionable recommendations and insights to support business decisions and marketing optimization.
- Extracts and validates structured and unstructured data from various sources, proactively identifying new data sources to integrate into data analytics models.
- Manipulates large data sets from multiple sources, performing big data analytics where possible to understand emerging trends, patterns, or insights through the use of statistical analysis.
- Creates predictive models that inform key business decisions and executes models from design through to deployment, ensuring accuracy of data and that models are viable, repeatable, and scalable; reports on model results once applied.
- Educates the organization on advanced analytics approaches and techniques used, such as testing hypotheses and predictive modelling, helping the organization understand the principles and the underlying logic behind the process.
- Leads model governance planning and execution process.
- Takes initiative to find better methodologies and approaches to produce accurate, timely and actionable insights for WVC internal stakeholders and donor audiences.
- Develops clear and comprehensive presentations of analytics results that emphasizes actionable recommendations and insights to support the development of new strategies and tactics.
- 3 to 5 years of relevant advanced analytics experience; experience working in an Agile environment an asset.
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics or computer science or related field.
- Master’s degree preferred; certification in machine learning and/or big data an asset.
- Solid knowledge of statistical techniques with a focus on customer and digital data, and analytical modelling and other advanced analytics techniques (such as statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms).
- Proficient in the use of statistical packages; strong programming skills (such as Hadoop, MapReduce or other big data frameworks, Java), and statistical modelling (like SAS, Python or R)
- Experience developing and using machine learning algorithms.
- Demonstrates the following data scientist qualities: clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logic, significance, and fairness.
- Proven ability to think strategically and to come up with solutions to loosely defined business problems.
- Strong interpersonal skills; a strong team player and collaborative with other departments
- Curious mindset; demonstrated analytical and communication skills, and commitment to life-long, hands-on learning.
We bring life-saving support in times of disaster. We help poor communities to take charge of their futures. We provide small loans and training that boost family livelihoods. We work with policy makers to change the way the world is run. Our Christian faith teaches us that every child, regardless of gender, faith or race, is a precious gift to the entire world - and that their wellbeing concerns us all. We shall never rest while children suffer in situations that can be changed.
Canada's Top 100 GTA's Top 10
Our Core Values: We are committed to the Poor. We are Christian. We are Stewards. We value People. We are Partners. We are Responsive.
Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate a commitment to the core values and mission of the World Vision partnership.
World Vision Canada takes our Safeguarding responsibilities seriously and we provide an environment that is safe for our child and adult beneficiaries. We have strong recruitment procedures to make sure the safest and most suitable people work with the children in our programs. We provide our staff and volunteers with ongoing supervision, support and training in their work with child and adult beneficiaries.
World Vision Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Thank you for your interest; however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.