Preqin is an award-winning, independent, research company providing data and intelligence to the financial industry. Investment professionals use Preqin’s online products to obtain key information for business-critical decision-making. Preqin’s clients include fund managers, legal firms, institutional investors, financial advisors, and placement agents.
Primarily a data company; Preqin is also a fast-moving fintech with a strong growth record and a world-wide staff base. Owned by our founder, directors, and employee shareholders, we care passionately about our customers, brand and the employees that make it all happen.
Preqin’s Data Science team plays a key role in driving initiatives across the organization in line with Preqin’s ambitious 2025 strategy. The Data Science team leverage public and proprietary datasets to develop new products and services to serve the alternative investments industry, including forecasts, estimations, recommendations, and predictions. Furthermore, the Data Science team apply AI and automation to internal processes to further improve operational efficiency.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to collaborate closely with senior stakeholders and clients to identify business opportunities through applied data science and machine learning. You will drive data science and machine learning-enabled initiatives towards creating high value solutions for our clients. You will work as a “full-stack” data scientist, taking projects from problem formulation to production, independently, as part of a team, or as the team lead. You will solve diverse business problems in a smart, pragmatic way, using software development tools and platforms to enable and support your solutions. You will be part of a dynamic, collaborative, and supportive Data Science team within Preqin’s wider Technology division. You will contribute to others’ initiatives by sharing your ideas and experience.
- Understand and translate business problems into data science / machine learning solutions.
- Align desired business outcomes with clear and observable success measures.
- Determine the value proposition of data science / machine learning solutions verses alternatives.
- Propose smart, pragmatic, and diverse approaches to address a variety of business problems.
- Lead individual and group projects, driving them towards the desired outcome.
- Forge constructive business relationships with key stakeholders.
- Prioritise and refine own work and tasks relating to the projects you lead and contribute to.
- Operate as a “full-stack” Data Scientist – taking projects from problem formulation to production.
- Design and run focused experiments targeting specific business outcomes.
- Write quality code to realise models, perform analytics, and draw actionable insights from data.
- Leverage software development tools and platforms to enable and support solutions.
- Exemplify and demonstrate best-practice data science and machine learning across the business.
- Present results and recommendations clearly, succinctly, and honestly to a variety of audiences.
- Use compelling storytelling to contextualise data visualisations / insights and inspire
- Contribute to the continuous improvement mindset in Data Science and Preqin’s wider Technology division e.g., by sharing knowledge and feedback, being a sounding board to colleagues.
- Stay abreast of the latest developments in data science and machine learning and identify those with business impact.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher degree in statistics, data science, computer science, economics, or another quantitative field.
- 5+ years’ experience applying data science / machine learning in a commercial setting.
- Track record of successfully delivering end-to-end data science / machine learning solutions.
- Ability to work effectively with senior stakeholders and clients.
- Excellent communication skills to bridge technology and business.
- Proficient / intermediate level programming skills, preferably Python.
- Software collaboration experience using version control, preferably Git.
- Experience using foundational data science libraries e.g., Pandas, NumPy, scikit-learn or equivalent.
- Experience applying state-of -the-art machine learning to commercial problems.
- Experience using software development / deployment tools, platforms, and best practices e.g., CI/CD pipelines, containerization technology and cloud computing platforms.
- Experience querying for and manipulating data using database technologies.
- Highly motivated, collaborative, innovative, inquisitive, customer-centric and demonstrates a growth mindset.
Working knowledge of the financial services sector and alternative assets.
- Experience developing solutions using libraries such as TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, SciPy, statsmodels, XGBoost.
- Experience using business intelligence platforms e.g., Metabase, Tableau, PowerBI.
- Experience tailoring agile software development practices to the data science and machine learning workflows.
- Opportunity to work within a well-regarded organisation in a fast-growing sector.
- Opportunity to develop your career in a high-growth company with an international presence.
- Access to Preqin Perks (our rewards, recognition, and discount platform) after month 1.
- Should you wish to participate, we offer subsidized Private Medical Insurance via Bupa after successful completion of 3 months.
- Interest-free season ticket loans on completion of probation.
- A pension plan under auto-enrolment which currently requires a minimum employee contribution of 5% of annual salary. This is matched by an employer contribution of 4%. You can opt to contribute more should you wish to. After your 1-year service with the company the employer contribution will be enhanced to match your contribution up to a maximum of 10% of your pensionable earnings. This means that if you are contributing the minimum contribution of 5%, after your 1-year service, Preqin will automatically uplift the company contribution to 5% of annual salary.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Study support of up to £900 per annum for relevant business qualifications and enhanced support of up to $2,500 for CAIA.
- Well-designed, stylish office space in London located close to Victoria station with easy access to shops, restaurants, and London’s West End.
- Company-sponsored sports teams.
- Winter and summer office parties and a company-funded team social budget.
Our Company Values
At Preqin we’re driven by our values: everything we do is in line with the six guiding principles we have set for ourselves.
- Quality Data and Solutions, Comprehensive Coverage: Preqin is the first port of call for alternatives data, research, and tools.
- Customer Centricity: Our customers are the central focus of Preqin.
- Objectivity: Preqin is data led and impartial.
- Innovation: Preqin sits at the forefront of the dynamic alternatives industry.
- Collaboration: Effective communication is essential to our success.
- Personal Development: Our business is built as much on our people as it is on our data and solutions.
Our Shared Culture
Preqin is a fast-growing company, but we are passionate about keeping an entrepreneurial spirit at the heart of everything we do. Our aim is to deliver for our customers, but as one united, progressive, and successful team. Today, our more than 700 people globally share six core values. We strive for quality and put our customers first. We are objective, and we innovate, collaborate, and invest in our personal development. We also have fun together. We hold social events, play sports, and celebrate our shared successes.
Preqin is an equal opportunity employer where diversity is at the heart of our business. It is the policy of Preqin to ensure equal employment and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information, socioeconomic status, political affiliation, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Preqin is committed to offering an inclusive and accessible experience for all job seekers, so everyone has the opportunity to be successful. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please let the Preqin recruiter know at the start of the application process. Reasonable accommodations are modifications or adjustments to the application or hiring process that would enable you to fully participate in that process.