Job description: About Umicore
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do? About Corporate Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. What you will be doing
As an Associate Data Scientist in Corporate R&D you bring your enthusiasm and proven data science background to address challenges that arise in our R&D and production facilities. You work closely together with other data scientists and experts in the field to analyse bottlenecks, eliminate inefficiencies and drive data-driven product and process optimization. You will develop a solid understanding of processes, technology and business challenges and provide firm advice to the project team. You will also keep up-to-date with the evolution of data analytics in an industrial context.
Your detailed responsibilities
Who we are looking for
- Carry out data analytics projects from data exploration to building and training customized machine learning models
- Collaborate with different functional teams to implement data-driven models into production and ensure continuous improvements
- Work with stakeholders across the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions
- In some cases, act also as project coordinator
- Strengthen own and group’s expertise in the area of data science and machine learning
- Be involved in the IP strategy for the assigned projects
An analytical colleague with:
What we offer
- Master’s degree in computer science, applied mathematics or engineering with relevant data science specialization (minimum of 2 years working experience preferred)
- Thorough knowledge of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, discriminant analysis, etc.)
- Good coding knowledge and hands-on experience in Python
- Understanding of cloud deployment, experience in Azure Databricks, MLflow and Azure Machine Learning (preferred)
- Good networker with an eye for customer centricity
- Interest in and exposure to industrial activities, processes and technology
- Good oral and written English communication skills. Dutch, French, German, Korean, Japanese, Chinese capabilities are an asset
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do? If our pioneering approach can make us a leader in sustainability, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO ?