You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
This role will provide advanced analytic support on the newly formed business analytics function that applies the power of data with machine learning to enhance risk-based decisions across the Health and Risk Solutions business. This team is expected to work closely with the other functional teams, in particular the Stop-Loss Pricing, Underwriting, and Clinical teams. This position reports to the Director Risk Analytics within the Health and Risk Solutions business. Responsibilities include developing, implementing and monitoring predictive models to support our pricing, underwriting and clinical review processes, as assigned. Additional responsibilities may include applying machine learning techniques to streamline and automate aspects of these processes, and promoting a culture of data-driven, risk-based decisions.
What will you do?
- Partner with key subject matter experts across various functional teams within the Health and Risk Solutions business to develop and implement predictive modeling and analytic solutions based on understanding of business needs and opportunities.
- Develop and maintain high-quality, robust predictive models using advanced analytic techniques
- Support data-centric business practices related to risk assessment within the Health and Risk Solutions business, including adoption of deployed models.
- Extract and analyze internal and external data sources to help answer key business problems related to risk assessment.
- Support evaluations of third party vendor solutions utilizing AI and deploy / monitor these solutions if implemented.
- Leverage and contribute to the broader analytics community for best practices related to predictive modeling techniques, in addition to staying up to date on healthcare trends.
- Support approximately 4-5 predictive analytics and related projects per year.
- Contribute to the future state of risk analytics within the Health and Risk Solutions business.
What will be needed to succeed?
- Experience with a broad range of statistical programming languages, applications and data environments (e.g., R, Python, SQL, Tableau)
- Demonstrated expertise in data science including conditioning, modeling, integration and visualization
- Strong knowledge of the fundamental statistical and AI underpinnings of data science
- Commitment to data compliance, model governance and security protocols
- Strong business acumen to understand why and how the work we do will impact our business stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
Education and Experience:
- MS, preferably in a statistical, mathematical, or technical field (e.g., computer science, actuarial science)
- 3+ years of data science experience
- Experience with actuarial, underwriting or related concepts utilized in the health insurance field preferred.
- Healthcare or health insurance experience preferred.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
Sun Life is committed to the health and safety of all those in our workplaces and our communities. In accordance with Sun Life’s Vaccination Policy (United States):
Fully virtual employees are not subject to any vaccination policy, unless planning to visit a Sun Life office.
Employees working in our U.S. Sun Life offices must be vaccinated. Individuals who are unable to be fully vaccinated due to a legally approved exemption for medical or religious reasons in accordance with US employment legislation, may request an accommodation.
Client-facing employees who are part of Sun Life U.S. business operations and regularly meet with others in-person, such as brokers, employer Clients, prospects, partners, dentists, and others, must be vaccinated or test weekly and follow any rules for masking or other precautions that are required at the meeting location.