We are recruiting for a Data Scientist with experience in using a variety of data tools, analysis methods and machine learning algorithms to build and implement predictive models with demonstrable business impact.
Permanent, Cape Town based opportunity
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques
- Extend the company’s data with third party sources of information when required
- Enhance data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems and self-learning models
- Process cleanse and verify the integrity of data used for analysis
- Identify valuable data sources and automate collection processes
- Undertake pre-processing of structured and unstructured data
Analysis and Model Building
- Mine and analyse data to drive optimisation and improvement of product development, marketing techniques and business strategies
- Analyse large amounts of information to discover trends and patterns
- Select features, building and optimising classifiers using machine learning techniques
- Use predictive modelling to increase and optimise customer experiences, generation & targeting and other business outcomes
- Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets
- Combine models through ensemble modelling
- Develop company A/B testing framework and test model quality
- Present information using data visualisation techniques
- Propose solutions and strategies to business challenges
- Solicit business requirements and outcomes based on interaction with business and present in an intuitive way.
- Highlight potential value and articulate recommendations to best achieve value.
Implement and Monitor
- Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models, allowing for different systems integration patterns, and monitor outcomes
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyse model performance and data accuracy
- Derive performance benchmarks and track accordingly
- Collaborate with engineering and product development teams
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems
- Support senior data scientists in the team
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field. Honours or Masters advantageous
- 5 years of experience manipulating data sets and building statistical models
- Experience querying databases and using statistical computer languages when managing data: e.g. R, Python, SQL, etc.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques, e.g. GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis, etc.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques such as clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc. and their real-world advantages and drawbacks.
- Experience with distributed data/computing tools: eg. Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, MySQL, etc.
- Experience visualising/presenting data for stakeholder use and reuse across the business
- Business experience in financial services or financial asset management will be advantageous
- Knowledge of various toolsets such as SAP Hana Studio, SAP Data Services, Informatica Data Quality Suite, Cloudera big data storage and Microsoft Power BI advantageous.