Postdoctoral Researcher – Machine Learning
CO - Golden
Postdoc (Fixed Term)
Hours Per Week
Applicants are invited to apply for a postdoctoral position to develop deep learning approaches in support of ongoing efforts in the Biosciences Center. These projects include (1) using graph neural networks and reinforcement learning to determine new molecular structures with optimal properties and (2) using techniques from natural language processing to annotate features of unknown protein sequences.
Job responsibilities include the following:
- Use modern graph neural network approaches to develop predictive models on chemical structure for applications in combustion, polymer science, and metabolism.
- Integrate existing graph neural network prediction algorithms for chemical properties into a reinforcement learning strategy to optimize over molecular structure. This project will consider both small organic molecules and periodic crystal structures.
- Train natural language processing models on large databases of unlabeled protein sequences to develop novel numerical embeddings for protein sequences and use these embeddings to assign functional annotations and protein structures to unannotated proteins from various microorganisms.
- Effectively communicate and interact with scientists and engineers to define the requirements of the simulations and models. Obtain necessary input data for simulations and provide meaningful interpretation of modeling results to guide experiments, operations, and engineering designs.
- Disseminate knowledge through publications in technical journals and presentations at conferences, symposia, and review meetings. Provide reports on technical work and input to technical publications and presentations.
- Work with management and senior staff to plan and design projects, determine technical objectives, and interact with and provide regular project reports to government and/or industrial clients.
Must be a Ph. D. graduate within the last three years in Chemical Engineering, Bioinformatics, Applied Math, Computer Science, or a related field.
Additional Required Qualifications
- A strong publication in the peer-reviewed scientific literature
- Demonstrated experience communicating results at national/international conferences
- Ability to work independently and in teams to deliver high-quality results within aggressive timelines.
- Strong background in machine learning, statistics, and uncertainty analysis
- Fluency in Python and at least one deep learning framework (tensorflow, pytorch, etc.)
- Experience with high performance and/or cloud computing, linux shells, and GPU usage
- Preferred Qualifications
- Experience with quantum chemistry and related software, e.g. Gaussian.
- Experience with bioinformatics workflows, including sequence alignment (e.g. BLAST).
- Experience in enzymology and structural biology.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at NREL you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
NREL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard basis of age (40 and over), color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin/ancestry, race, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding), sexual orientation, and any other applicable status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
EEO is the Law | Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination | Reasonable Accommodations
E -Verify www.dhs.gov/E-Verify |For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.
E-Verify is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce.