Panagora Group is a social enterprise dedicated to providing high-quality, high-impact international health, development, and learning consulting. We are a dynamic woman- and employee-owned small business partner focused on market-based and integrated local solutions that strengthen country capacity and independence; and on learning, communications, and technology solutions to accelerate and heighten impact. As a small business, we are able to implement novel and innovative approaches using highly participatory approaches to mobilize community, civil society, and government energy in defining and owning solutions, and to promote inclusive development that benefits all groups.Position Summary
The Technical Support Services (TSS) Activity helps USAID/Southern Africa and Regional Health Office (RHO) to address technical priorities and develop creative, innovative solutions to strategically allocate resources, strengthen connections with partners, and replicate best practices and effective program models. Through the TSS contract, Panagora Group augments capacity by providing technical, operational, and administrative support to USAID’s largest health portfolio. TSS deploys advisors in response to USAID requests for priority work with government stakeholders, implementing partners, and/or other entities. TSS supports Health Office staff and teams to integrate creative solutions into routine work. TSS also provides international and local expertise for surge support, as needed, for USAID Program Cycle requirements, planning, development, outreach, communications, and Health Office human resource functions.
The Senior Data Analyst will lead the data analytic work across all TSS projects supporting USAID/South Africa and regional health offices (including but not limited to RHO, Eswatini, Lesotho, and Mozambique) to meet critical program objectives. S/he will serve as a key advisor within the Strategic Information (SI) team and provide technical data analytic expertise to Panagora TSS, USAID, and/or its implementing partners. S/he will oversee and guide the conceptualization, design, running, and interpretation of analytics to drive continuous, data-driven programmatic action. Through the use of large and complex data sets, s/he will provide expertise on data infrastructure, data schemas, tools, processes, guidelines, and data products.Primary Responsibilities
The Senior Data Analyst will carry out the following tasks and core activities.
- Provide leadership and technical expertise in designing and conducting advanced and complex analytics, summarize and present findings and recommendations, and train and mentor stakeholders in data analytics and use.
- Oversee the preliminary review and assessment of datasets for integrity as necessary and transforming data sets.
- Conceptualize comprehensive responses to data requests from a variety of stakeholders through the design and development of metrics, the comprehensive interpretation of the analytics drawing causal inferences, and generating and providing recommendations.
- In collaboration with the Senior Visualization Data Analyst, determine the best way to present data, tell stories, and convey messages to different audiences using qualitative and quantitative insights and support the development of a wide variety of data visualization products to support end users to understand and use the information to make programmatic decisions.
- Build capacity through the training and mentorship of key stakeholders on the functionality and utility of the data visualization products.
- Lead efforts to improve data collection, management, analysis, and sharing that demonstrates project outputs, outcomes, and impacts.
- Provide oversight and guidance with the development of data analytics and use of capacity-building curriculum for key stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain detailed technical documentation, including guidance documents, standard operating procedures, and training materials.
- Monitor progress on project work plans, ensuring high-quality deliverables are submitted on time and on budget. This includes creating and maintaining monday.com board/s as a project management tool, as well as overseeing all phases of each deliverable (development, review, and submission).
- Management of long- and short-term staff including approval of timesheets and other administrative functions, completing annual performance reviews, and other duties as assigned.
- Support with recruitment to expand Panagora’s bench of global technical, program, and operations professionals with expertise across the health portfolio, including the use of innovative and effective online/virtual and in-person (where appropriate) recruitment activities and events.
- Coordinate technical experts’ onboarding/offboarding and ongoing engagement and management, including leveraging their skills and expertise in other areas of work across TSS.
- Participate in client-facing meetings and communication, including Panagora-USAID project meetings, weekly and bimonthly updates, and quarterly reports. Coordinate additional or ad hoc updates to USAID on request.
- Working closely with the Senior Clinical Cascade and Strategic Information Advisor & Deputy Chief of Party: Technical and Operations, collaborate with all TSS tasks and team leads to leverage solutions and approaches implemented across the various tasks to rapidly implement those solutions in assigned projects, scaling up TSS activities in TSS project supported countries.
- Other activities as assigned.
- Postgraduate Degree in public health, epidemiology, biostatistics, statistics, or equivalent degree, or relevant and demonstrated work experience.
- 5+ years of experience applying epidemiological and statistical concepts to public health-related data analysis, preferably with HIV, ART, and TB data.
- 5+ years of proven advanced experience working in Excel and R. Experience with Python and data analytic programs such as Stata, and/or SPSS advantageous.
- Fluency with data visualization softwares such as Tableau, PowerBI, advanced PowerPoint, and other similar business intelligence tools is advantageous.
- Proven leadership experience in leading an effective team of analysts in developing high-quality and appropriate analyses using qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Proven experience working with USAID and/or PEPFAR programs, reporting, and analytic requirements.
- Strong mathematics and critical thinking skills are required.
- Exposure to Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, and Artificial intelligence solutions is advantageous.
- Excellent verbal and written English language skills.
- Proven capacity to take the initiative and willingness to learn new skills as needed.
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work well independently and as part of a multidisciplinary, culturally diverse team.
This position is based in South Africa, with residency in Johannesburg or Pretoria preferred.
No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted. Please include a cover letter and resume. Only applicants who include the required application components will be considered.
Panagora Group is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
- Note: Panagora does not offer visa sponsorship.