We are a full stack data science company and a wholly owned subsidiary of the parent company. We own 10 Petabytes of data and collect 35+ Terabytes of new data each week sourced from 62 Million households. As a member of our software engineering team, you will use various cutting-edge technologies to develop applications that turn our data into actionable insights used to personalize the customer experience for shoppers at the parent company.
What you will do
As a Senior Data Engineer, you are part of the software development team. We develop strategies and solutions to ingest, store, and distribute our big data. Our developers use Big Data technologies including (but not limited to) Hadoop, PySpark, Hive, JSON, and SQL to develop products, tools and software features.
Take ownership of features and drive them to completion through all phases of the entire Company’s SDLC. This includes external facing and internal applications as well as process improvement activities such as:
- Participate in design of Big Data platforms and SQL based solutions
- Perform development of Big Data platforms and SQL based solutions
- Perform unit and integration testing
- Partner with senior resources, gaining insights
- Participate in retrospective reviews
- Participate in the estimation process for new work and releases
- Be driven to improve yourself and the way things are done
Minimum Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree (typically in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Business Analytics or another technically strong program), plus 2 years of experience
- Proven Big Data technology development experience including Hadoop, Spark (PySpark), and Hive
- Understanding of Agile Principles (Scrum)
- Experience developing with Python
- Cloud Development (Azure)
- Exposure to VCS (Git, SVN)
Position Specific Skill Preferences
Experience in the following:
- Experience developing with SQL (Oracle, SQL Server)
- Exposure to NoSQL (Mongo, Cassandra)
- Apache NiFi
- Innovate, develop, and drive the development and communication of data strategy and roadmaps across the technology organization to support project portfolio and business strategy
- Drive the development and communication of enterprise standards for data domains and data solutions, focusing on simplified integration and streamlined operational and analytical uses
- Drive digital innovation by leveraging innovative new technologies and approaches to renovate, extend, and transform the existing core data assets, including SQL-based, NoSQL-based, and Cloud-based data platforms
- Define high-level migration plans to address the gaps between the current and future state, typically in sync with the budgeting or other capital planning processes Lead the analysis of the technology environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement
- Mentor team members in data principles, patterns, processes and practices
- Promote the reuse of data assets, including the management of the data catalog for reference Draft and review architectural diagrams, interface specifications and other design documents
- Proactively and holistically lead activities that create deliverables to guide the direction, development, and delivery of technological responses to targeted business outcomes.
- Provide facilitation, analysis, and design tasks required for the development of an enterprise's data and information architecture, focusing on data as an asset for the enterprise.
- Develop target-state guidance (i.e., reusable standards, design patterns, guidelines, individual parts and configurations) to evolve the technical infrastructure related to data and information across the enterprise, including direct collaboration with the company.
- Demonstrate the company’s core values of respect, honesty, integrity, diversity, inclusion and safety.